Return to the Dollmaking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Doll has musty smell from attic

Posted by KarenNY (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 02 at 17:52

Hi everyone! My daughter unpacked her Mandy Doll which had been packed in cardboard box in the attic for over 30 years--it has a very distinct musty type odor--she already tried baking soda with the doll in a plastic bag for a week to absorb odors--didnt work, so she tried washing the doll with oxyclean & still the doll & hair have the odor--please, anyone with ideas to remove the smell--doll is in good condition otherwise--thanks in advance for your help! KarenNY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Doll has musty smell from attic

Maybe an aafteroon in the sun will help with the musty smell. You could also try Febreeze or another type of odor removing spray. Good luck.

o

you could try putting the doll in a box with a cloth bag of charcoal.. and after about 3 days take it out and spray with febreeze.. that should work :)

o

Use Bounce dryer cloths. This is good for books too. Any kind of mold is gotten rid of too. Wrap the doll in Bounce and then in a towel. Leave for about 2 days to one week, checking every two days. It will work. I use it on my doll clothes, antique books and everything else.

o

Great Information. Thanks for sharing.

o

I used bounce dryer cloths which I tucked it inside the body, then remove when later. I did this with hard plastic, not sure you an ever get the smell out of vinyl dolls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dollmaking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here