Return to the Dollmaking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grammy made Rageddy is deteriorating!

Posted by lbordan (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 12:50

Forty some years ago my mother made Raggedy Ann dolls for my three girls. All of these dolls are now displayed in my grandaughter's rooms; however, one of them was so 'loved' her face is deteriorating. I've read I can dab it with a damp cloth and mild soap and preserve it in an acid fee box, but then it can't be seen. Another suggestion is to display it in a plastic box, but that idea seems to take the hugability away from her.
I'm thinking of cutting out the face and the heart (I luv Mary)and hand stitching them on to a new doll body I will make from better fabric than my mother used. Any ideas how to keep the origianl material from getting any worse?
How can I prevent the dolls I have made for MY granddaughters and grandsons from having the same problem forty years from now?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grammy made Rageddy is deteriorating!

This is a tough one. I use Fray check for some problems. Maby you could put it on the embrodery floss only. Also I read once where quilts with badly frayed pieces were covered with a fine tooling fabric. I will e- mail you my phone number if you want to brain storm, sometime this helps. I love old treasures. Sincerely Paula

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dollmaking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here