Return to the Dollmaking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is primitive?

Posted by
h.s.soly
(lorafamily@hotmail.com) on
Mon, May 22, 06 at 23:23

hi all.
i saw a couple of primitive dolls for sale on ebay and i kinda liked them. i tried making one and now i'm hooked. i've always loved the country primitive look but i love making the dolls even more. my question is....what is considered primitive? i see things for sale on ebay that don't look primitive and they sell as primitive. and why is it that the strangest looking things are considered primitive and look so wierd? I thought primitive meant old and worn but i see things that are not.....is there a certain criteria in primitive?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is primitive?

Primitive actually refers to the type of craft and it can be decor and other things as well as dolls. These dolls you said you see on Ebay, cute as they are, are not really primitive. Primitive means a doll that looks like it was made with nothing but hands and hand held tools, like you would see in pioneer times. Corn Husk dollies, dolls that have straw stuffing and raggedy ann type faces, sock dolls, etc. Picture the type of doll made for a pioneer child and you have a primitive. A Voodoo doll is a primitive. So is a rag doll. Also, just because something is listed on Ebay does not mean it is correct. Some people consider that something ten years old is vintage. I have seen dolls that are from the thirties listed as ANTIQUES (they wont be for another 60 plus years, antiques are 100yrs old minimum.).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dollmaking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here