Return to the Dollmaking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two questions- one specific to Mme Alexander

Posted by thrift_shop_romantic (My Page) on
Wed, May 23, 07 at 13:49

Hello-
This is my first time posting in this area, not because I don't love old dolls, but because I've never had any to fix up before. So this is pretty exciting for me.

I bought over the weekend at a church rummage a lovely plastic bodied Madame Alexander Alice in Wonderland from the 60s. She is in need of a little TLC.

Anyone have any recommendations for taking off a bit of dirt smudged into her face without harming her?

Also, while she came with shoes and socks, they're white shoes and short socks that aren't like the other dolls of this kind I've seen online. I don't think they're correct. Does anyone know of a resource where I a.) confirm she never came with white shoes and socks) and b.) could buy the white stockings and black shoes Alice came with?

Many thanks in advance for any insights on this. I want to make sure I'm helping and not harming her. :-) Alice is one of my favorite story characters and I'd like to display her in my home with an old copy of the book and a tin "Queen of Hearts" tea set.

--Jenn
http://web.mac.com/thriftshopromantic/iWeb/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two questions- one specific to Mme Alexander

Hi Jenn

I am new to this board too - hope you get to see this.

For the face I would use a cotton bud (I think you guys call them Q tips) and diluted soapy water (dishwashing liquid) and start somewhere away from her face and gently rub in little circles to see if it cleans and does no damage.

If it works - move on to the more sensitive areas - little circle movements and a little area at a time.

Hope this helps

Sorry - i'm in the wrong country and wrong era and wrong material type to be of much help with the style and sock/shoe question.

And besides - what would a bloke know about style :)

Peter

o
RE: Two questions- one specific to Mme Alexander

my mom was a doll restorer.she used GOOP HANDCLEANER to remove lipstick, magic marker, etc for plastic and ceramic dolls. i read on the web u can try WD40 also . i would ''TRY it ON AN UNDER clothes area.
as for the second question. MADAME ALEXANDER passed away yrs ago.and her line went mass production.up until her death she was an icon.there are book is the library which will shows pictures of her dolls.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dollmaking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here