Return to the Dollmaking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Ideas on How to Repair My Tiny Tears Doll, Please

Posted by lynninnewmexico (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 17, 14 at 13:53

This is my first time on this forum, although I'm a regular over on the Decorating Forum. I could really use some advice. My beloved 11" original Tiny Tears doll's left arm has broken off at the elbow from material fatigue.

I can't seem to locate a place to buy a replacement arm and am wondering it I can somehow repair it myself.
I have 3 ideas at the moment. Do any of them sound doable to you?

1) Glue it with some yet unknown glue that will adhere to the rubber the doll's body is made out of . . . and dry clear.
2) Head to Hobby Lobby (or ?) to find some kind of soft polymer or clay that I can stuff inside the broken upper arm,forming a tube of it that I can then slide the broken forearm over and glue on. It would have to be something that would dry without baking.
3) Or, a polymer that does need baking. I could form a tube of it that would fit into the upper and lower arm. Bake the tube. Slide it into the upper arm using some kind of glue, and then slide the lower arm onto the bottom half of it.
I'd really appreciate hearing your thoughts and ideas. I'm not looking to keep my doll in pristine condition, I'd just like to keep her whole for me to enjoy seeing her sitting on a display shelf. Or, if you know of a place online where I could buy a replacement arm, I'd love it.

Thanks!
Lynn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Ideas on How to Repair My Tiny Tears Doll, Please

Your best bet is to google for a doll hospital in your area and ask about replacement parts.

o

Thank you, Emma. Good advice. The more I look at this doll, the more sure I am that I shouldn't be working on it myself. I'm going to call a local doll repair person first thing Monday morning and see if she can help me.
Lynn

o

You are welcome. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dollmaking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here