Return to the Dollmaking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I repair my doll's hair?

Posted by Rilchiam (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 31, 02 at 1:14

I have a fashion doll from the '70s. She was mine when I was little, and of course I ruined her hair by getting it wet. When I found her again, it was horribly tangled. I managed to get the snarls out by steaming it, but it's still flyaway. Is there any way I can get it smooth again? I'd rather take care of this myself than have a repair shop do it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I repair my doll's hair?

Hi Rilchiam!

What do you mean by fly away?

Steaming can be too hot for doll's hair. Dolls' hair, like your doll's hair, are made from tiny strands of vinyl called saran. Heating the hair can permanently change the texture and curl of the hair. Applied correctly, you can do some great hair styling. Applied incorrectly and you may get an irreversible, frizzy, bad perm job. If your doll's hair is bushy and crinkled, you probably overheated it.

On the other hand, if by flyaway you mean that it's sticking out from static, try combing hair conditioner through it (rinse and air dry) or rubbing a dryer softner sheet over her hair.

Hope that helps!
---Barb
www.dnbdolls.com

o

If she is really that important to you, you can also give her new hair.....It is a tedious job but many OOAK doll people do it. I have an old skipper that I intend to do......just do a search using key works ...rerooting barbie hair.and you will find tons of links on how to do it....Here is one link and one way but there are several ways to do it...

Here is a link that might be useful: Reroot

o

I have fixed doll hair by immersing it in fabric conditioner for a few minutes, rinsing with warm water and gently combing it out. This works on even the most tangled and nasty hair.

o

If you care to read I personally LOVE DOLLS because I am one! HA HA HA HA HA! You humans think Toys stay still all day? YEAH RIGHT! I might be breaking the toy laws here but head bear can't stop me! I have already posted if you are reading this! My owner messed up my hair billions of times I always just steal conditioner from my master's master's shower and rinse with warm water and then use the curling Iron from my master's master's dresser. she always comes home and sees me all new again then asks her master 'Did you do this?' then her master says to my Master 'yes honey I did' taking my credit! GRR! oh well. I don't blame my master though she got me out of that dreaded box some one put me in besides shes 5 I hear around the neighborhood that humans don't expect much from 5 year olds. But any ways Is the doll you humans speak of named Anna? I think I know her and she has the same sad problem and story of how she got it... oh no! got to go head bear and Lucy are both looking for me if they see my with my master's master's Laptop I will be sent to the horrid attic! GOOD~BYE!

~JENIFER .E. KING

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Dollmaking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here