Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
terraaus

Fallen Tree Procedure

terraaus
15 years ago

If a tree falls on my house, what procedures do I take? Who do I call first etc.

Comments (10)

• lucy
    15 years ago

I would take pictures first, especially of where the tree was to begin with (is it a neighbour's tree and you're concerned about who's going to pay for fixing whatever it fell on?). I would then consider telling my insce. co. what happened, and I would call tree removal companies for estimates.

• joed
    15 years ago

Do what needs to be done to close the house back up and prevent any further damage from water etc.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

especially of where the tree was to begin with (is it a neighbour's tree and you're concerned about who's going to pay for fixing whatever it fell on?).

does nto matter, UNLESS you can prove the tree was unhealthy and the neighbor was negligent by not removing ti after proper warnings it was a danger. if a healthy tree(or even and unhealthy one if you don't notify them) belonging to your neighbor falls on your house it is YOUR legal responsibility to clean up/repair the damage, not the neighbor's. very few places is it the neighbor's responsibility at all.

first thing to do is get everyone out the house until it is determined to be safe. take pics next, and call your HOI. they may/may not tell you to hire a removal service. usually they give you X dollars for the removal and leave it up to you, though sometimes this cna mean you still pay out of pocket. then they pay to repair the damage.

• terraaus
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your replies. I do not have a fallen tree. There is a very large oak tree in front of my house, and I thought I should be prepared in the event this should ever happen.

• lucy
    15 years ago

Well why not get a real arborist out to check the tree's condition and future status?

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

agreed, get a real aborist not "Jose's Lawn Service"!

• heimert
    15 years ago

1) Roofer to seal up house
    2) Insurance company to deal with claims
    3) Repair people to fix up house
    4) Lawyer if insurance company isn't handling things right.

Any dispute as to who pays can be handled during/after repairs are done. I would not wait to have repairs done just because neighbor should pay (which they shouldn't unless you warned them about dangerous tree).

• frodo_2009
    15 years ago

the comment jose's tree removal was not p.c
    its the same thing as if i were to send 2 workers to your house..named "jose" and "B"

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

screw p.c.

read into it what you want, it was meant don't hire a guy who paint's his company name on teh truck with a brush, if there is even a name on it. regardless of race.

if that offends you, go cry to your shrink.

• texasredhead
    15 years ago

Well Henny Penny, You should also make preparations in case the sky falls, a car drives into your living room, your grass dies, etc. Is it safe to assume that the oak tree is healthy?

I would also check with your home owners insurance to find out how they would handle the situation should the afore mentioned tree fall and crush your house.