Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckyjoe_gw

Kitchen remodel nightmare

LuckyJoe
9 years ago

Greetings,

I hired a company to remodel my kitchen back toward the beginning of 2014. They pretty much abandoned any serious commitment to finishing the project once I made the final payment. Although they have managed to squeeze in some time here and there at their convenience, I have been waiting patiently for months for this to get finished. The cabinetry was all custom, and it wasn't cheap. The installation, however, must have been (for them), because the work, overall, was very sloppy.

One issue (among many) was a design issue. I have a peninsula that extends from a counter that is adjacent to a wall. The interior corner, where the two meet, is missing a spacer one side. As a result, the door and drawer that are closest to the corner quite literally run into the adjacent drawer and door when they are opened.

They attempted to mitigate this by attaching a half-inch block of wood to the drawer and door opening closest to the corner so that the doors and drawers could all be moved over a half an inch, but then this puts them off center with respect to the sink. It also messes up the reveal around the left side of the dishwasher since it is now fully covered by the door.

The 3.5" and 1" in the referenced image refer to the original spacing on each corner of the peninsula. The green line is where the left side of the (now missing) drawer front originally sat. The yellow square is the piece that was added.

My question is this...is their proposed solution to this acceptable? To me it looks like a hack, and I'd rather have them fix (by adding the spacer) it so that it's like it should have been from the start.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:2134241}}

Comment (1)

• mepop
    9 years ago

Lucky Joe:

Yes, itâÂÂs a âÂÂhackâ fix for a custom kitchen. You can add a filler to the right corner of the base cabinet but that will likely cause far more problems.

TheyâÂÂll need to remove the granite and all base cabinets to the right. To add the 2.5â or even a 1â filler will need to come off somewhere or the granite top may be too small. They may break the granite while removing it. Without seeing the layout, itâÂÂs hard to recommend the best answer.

One option is narrowing the sink base cabinet openings (equal on both sides) on both top and bottom by adding to the inside of the stiles. Depending on the hardware and overlay, if done well, it will look balanced, nobody will see the fix unless you open the door and/or tray.

The sink base gets a lot of wear and tear so if this fix is done poorly, it will look bad and give you headaches forever. If the door overlay isnâÂÂt wide enough and the fix is done poorly, it will be an eyesore.

They will need to order smaller sink front tray door(s) and smaller base door(s) but itâÂÂs much easier, cheaper and doesnâÂÂt create all the problems of removing and reinstalling everything. They may even have enough scrap material to widen the stiles which is good for color match.

Adding to the stiles behind the tray fronts isnâÂÂt a stress point so as long as it was glued and clamped, it isn't bad. If it was only tacked in with trim nails, it will loosen over time.

For the lower cabinet doors, they need to glue and screw the stile extensions (or better) as the use of the door will loosen the extension unless rock solid. Depending on the hardware, they should be able to hide the screws behind the hinges.

Even for custom cabinets, a good carpenter can make this fix. The headache is the time to order the cabinet doors and stile extension pieces, and making sure the color and finish is a good match.

Good luck,