Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My house smells like an orange!

Posted by PBSJones (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 28, 05 at 19:55

Here's a weird thing: Every winter, as soon as the rain starts, one of our bedrooms starts to smell like rotting oranges. It only happens when the weather is cold and wet, which immediately makes one think of mildew, but it's not a mildewy smell at all -- it has a definite citrus smell to it, very tangy.

It's elusive, too; we've tried to find the source with our noses, but no luck.

There's no mildew in the closet, or in the rest of the room; I dread pulling up the carpet to see what may be growing under there, or opening up the walls, but it looks like I might have to.

So, before I start the demolition, does this sound like ANYTHING ya'll have heard of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My house smells like an orange!

A few years ago there was an orange scented deodorizor for pet odors. I'm guessing maybe someone went a little overboard with the stuff and soaked the floor. I'd pull up the carpet and clean the floor.

o
RE: My house smells like an orange!

Thanks, Lizql -- Ya know, I've been starting to think in that direction myself. There's this sawdust-like stuff that they use on the carpets where I work that has an overpowering smell of oranges. I wonder if the previous owners used it in that room, and every time the weather gets damp, it brings out the smell? I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here