Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wet underside of roof

Posted by chesdin2 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 9, 06 at 17:59

This actually isn't a disaster yet, but I need to figure this out quickly...!

We have a 1920's cape-cod style house in Massachusetts with an asphalt-shingled roof. We had it re-roofed this summer and the contractor used ice and water shield over virtually the entire surface as an extra measure of protection against leaks.

Now that cold weather is upon us, we noticed that it seems damp in the attic eaves and some areas of the underside of the roof decking are damp.

My concern is that the roof is now so "tight" that moisture is getting trapped in the attic and condensing on the cold underside of the roof decking. (You hear stories of this sort of thing happening if people vent dryers into the attic, etc.).

Could there be a connection here? Would the solve be to improve the ventilation? I have a couple of small gable vents, but nothing in the ridge or down near the soffits. This was absolutely not a problem before we re-roofed.

I'd appreciate any advice or thoughts about what to do next.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wet underside of roof

probably so. my house had only a few gable vents and no soffit vents either. i put a powered vent fan in one gable and cut both the heat AND humidity significantly. cost about 75.00 for the fan, and i had a light right there to tap for power so i wired it myself.

or you could put in a few soffit vents, the more the better.

o

Have you gotten your issue figured out yet? Do you have water heat? I had my house re-roofed and re-sided last spring and the exact same thing has happened in my walkin attic. It is so wet in some places that it is dripping onto the floor. We just had a contractor here that said there appear to be enough vents. He said that we need to direct the bathroom vents outside instead of into the attic, and to put in a soffit vent and a fan with a humidistat(?). He said that's where we'll start, maybe put in a gable vent and add to the insulation. If you've tried something that's worked, please let me know...thanks!

o

End the Hard Soffits & go with Ventilated ones. If you don't you have set your roof up for Failure.

o

Throw in a ridge vent or gable vents as well. SolaTube makes a solar powered attci vent that is easy to install and is powered by the sun.

www.solatube.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here