Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Noise from Neighbors Garage/Upper Deck

Posted by tickkdoff (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 30, 06 at 14:56

My new neighbor has an eightfoot garage door, chain driven. The bottom is a 2 car garage and the top is a deck. The inside of the garage is not insulated and it has exposed beams which carry the weight for the upper deck. Every time it is opened or closed I can hear it in my house, primarily in the SE corner. I spoke to him a number of times. He had a garage repairman over to inspect and it was given a clean bill from an installation and motor (1/2 hp) standpoint. He refuses to have anything done. I have consulted an attorney and for whats it worth, throwing good money to bad is not worth the time or aggravation. Is there something I can do to cushion the noise into my home? Is there some type of contractor that can do something that is not too expensive? The noise is so aggravating it send chills up my spine. Please HELP...........

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Noise from Neighbors Garage/Upper Deck

Move. Seriously, neighbors make noise from time to time, just like I hear my neighbors motorcycle everyday at least 2x a day. It's part of living in suburbia.

o

Yep - neighbors make noise occasionally.

It is just a garage door opener... not drunken parties every night all night....

o

it is his house, if the noise does not bother him, and it is not loud enough to violate local noise ordinances, then nothing you can make him do. his garage being unfinished really has not affect on the amount of noise from teh opener.

YOU could install double pane windows, and maybe beef up the insulation in the SE part of the house, but not much else.

is this a town house or 2 totally seperate buildings? if the buildings share the same framing on a common wall then the the noise will transfer back and forth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here