Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should beveled hardwood show a blonde (unfinished) edge

Posted by dianamc75 (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 4, 13 at 14:30

We ordered engineered hardwood in oak with a stained finish.

The installer installed about 100 sq feet and called me to look at it. You can see blonde parts of the wood on the beveled edge - but not consistent in all the planks and not even consistent along the same plank. It looks splotchy to me.

I will let you know what the company is saying later. Just want to know how your beveled edge looks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should beveled hardwood show a blonde (unfinished) edge

Did the sample have the same thing going on? (I doubt it, unless the product is supposed to have a "rustic" appearance.)

That is a defective or low quality product. Engineered flooring has a factory finish that you can't touch-up. The original finish has to be perfect. Any chance you are getting product from a box store? They routinely sell the items that have slight manufacturing defects.The way you describe it, sounds like par for course.

If the seller is reputable, make them exchange it. Or return it for a refund.

In the future, all flooring needs to be carefully inspected before ANY is installed. Sometimes the color batches do not match even on high quality product. The installer should have done this and noticed the defects before he started. He'll probably agree to take up the defective product and lay new for no additional charge. His labor was his mistake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here