Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Power outage, how long till food in fridge spoils?

Posted by Blueridgeroses (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 12, 02 at 14:02

Our power just came back on (yea!) after being out for 25 hrs. (ice storm). Anyone know if there is a rule of thumb as to how long food has before it spoils in the fridge and freezer when there is no power?

I've just gotta say, here's to the modern-day, electric-driven miracles of central heating and running water (we're on a well, no power = no water), so glad to have it all back!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Power outage, how long till food in fridge spoils?

It's different lengths of time for different things. I've got to ask, why didn't you just put the food outside.

o

I actually did think about putting the food outside but we live in a rural area that's crawling with critters. By this morning my house was as cold as outside, anyway.

o

As long as everything is still hard I wouldn't worry about it (in the freezer) The fridge stuff probably is ok as long as you didn't open the doors too much. Does anything smell? I'd throuw that out.
My power was off for about 4 days during our ice storm and I had to throw everything out. The neighbors dog ate pretty good during that time.
I have gas heat powered by elec so I know what you went through. I'm glad it's back on for you.

o

After 25 hours everything should be just fine, unless you opened the fridge a whole lot. Try the milk. If it is not sour, then all would be fine. I always use the milk as my guide. Freezer food is fine. The freezer can go for 2 to 3 days before one needs to have a grill party and have friends over.

Moni

o

Thanks everyone!

o

If you had fish or shellfish in there, I think I'd toss that.

Any meat should be OK, but I'd use it in a couple of days.

Everything else is probably fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here