Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
termites

Posted by NYSRQ (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 7, 11 at 13:15

About 9 mos ago, we purchased an antique chinese wood chair. it sat in our bedroom on a newly installed hardwood floor.
2 months ago, I noticed what looked like a pile of sand under the chair. I thought nothing of it, as I had recently been to the beach, and just thought I left something sandy on the chair.
But this week, again saw a pile of "sand" under the chair. This time, I was concerned as I had not been to beach. Looked at the "sand" very carefully & saw it was not sand at all. We photographed it, and then blew up the photo. Doing so allowed us to see the tubular shape, and that it looked somewhat similar to bedbug eggs. NOOO!!!!! Upon further research & inspection, we made a perfect match for droppings from hardwood termites.
We immdeiately went to see the dealer, and he came & got the chair & is having it gassed somewhere to kill the bugs.
THe concern though is whether I could have a termite infestation now. We have seen absolutely no evidence of termites on our floor - no larvae, wings, bodies, holes, tracks. Once the chair left, no more droppings.

The floor is a very hard wood (IPE), and it is glued to a thick soundproofing barrier which is on top of concrete. We are on the 8th floor of a condo.

Is there a way to treat the wood floor just in case, or since I have seen nothing at all, do ypu think there is no need to treat? What are the chances that the termites could have migrated from the chair to the floor? And then possibly to other apartments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: termites

Subterranean termites need ground contact.

Dry wood termites do not.

Pretty unlikely they got anywhere.

Powder post beetles would be more likely than termites.

o

brickeyee is right, they are two different termites.

Your other wood furniture would be more of a concern than your hardwood floor, espeically the chair has been in your place for 9 months.

I would not let the chain back to the house, just to be extra cautious.

o

I don't know anything about termites, but we had bought a small chest in India that had a similar problem. A dealer suggested putting the piece of furniture in the freezer for a few days. That took care of the problem!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here