Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this mean I need a new water heater?

Posted by auntjen (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 10, 03 at 10:36

I just started noticing a really bad odor coming out whenever I turn on the hot water (in kitchen or bathroom). It's faintly fishy ... not pleasant whatsoever. When I turn on the cold water, I don't detect the foul smell. Also, we've been noticing that the hot water runs out fairly quickly - sometimes after only one of us showers (there are two of us in the home). I have no idea how old the water heater is; the house itself is 63 years old, but the water heater does at least look fairly new. Still ... these things that have been happening lately, are they an indication that a new water heater is in order?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this mean I need a new water heater?

It sounds like you need to flush your hot water heater out. They build up sediment on the bottom and can begin to not heat as well or develop an odor. If you do not have the owners manual you can go on line to DIY or HGTV and they have directions for flushing the hot water heater. Of course if it is many years old you may have to replace a heating element if flushing does not solve your heating problem. Generally, if I am uncertain of the age of a hot water heater I do not bother changing heat elements, I just replace with a new hot water heater. The new ones are generally under $200.00 and are much more efficient then the old models. Judy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here