Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brand new roof leaking, Mold growing in attic... HELP!

Posted by nutmeagan27 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 28, 10 at 2:35

Hello fellow gardenwebbers. I have a roofing/construction dilemma...
(X-posted in Building a House forum)

We started building our home in NW Oregon this past May, and are just about to the end of it. Cabinets are going in, countertops going on, etc... Well, DH went up into the attic today to see what kind of insulation was installed, and there found mold growing on the underside of the roof. Like puffy, white/grey mounds of mold... He also said there was water slowly dripping from some of the roofing nails.

Needless to say, I'm just horrified at this. We were starting to pack our items from our townhouse, getting ready to move...

So, calling all experts (or just anyone with some ideas): What should we do? Our builder is a reputable, stand-up guy who I know will do what it takes to make it right (Holmes on Homes, anyone? :) ). Has anyone ever had this happen before?

I'm sick to my stomach with this discovery... :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brand new roof leaking, Mold growing in attic... HELP!

Whoever did the roof is responsible for finding out how to do it right and then doing it. There may be a question of vents vs no vents, or insulation in the wrong place, or the wrong shingles, etc. and you should not (and I don't think are capable of it :-) have to figure out what to do on your own, or else call in a very reputable contractor/roofer/architect to get some information (only).

o

Why are you on the internet when you should be calling the builder?

o

Give it a rest Ron...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here