Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Single rat Friend or foe

Posted by bigmammag (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 12, 07 at 1:40

I have a rat in my garden he moved in about 10 days ago, he is not scared of humans and will come within a meter, he looks wild although his fur does look sleeker than normal wild rats. He only comes out during the day and according to cctv he realy does live alone, a buddy reckons he is an escaped pet im dubious so hesitant to do any thing, he has nest built. His colouring is that of a wild rat but i had a rat that looked similar about 5 yrs ago. so i cant go by that what do i do!!???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Single rat Friend or foe

If you have kids or pets, I'd be concerned, as they really can carry disease and if rabid and bite, could be a problem. Being an escaped pet doesn't change his 'ratness'. Maybe get a 'Have-a-Heart' trap so you can rehome him far away if you want.

o

yep, either kill him or move him to the woods somewhere. rats are pack animals, so either more will come or it will go to find others. also "he" may be a "she" and before you know it you have 100 of them.

o

the problem with even a bachelor rat freed from human cages...

no one bothers to neuter their pet rats. and sooner or later, rat will find another rat. and in six weeks, there will be half a dozen little rats...and in as little as three months, there will be fifty of them.

o

Decon is good and if another animal eats dead rat, will not kill that animal. You do need to get rid of the rat as their droppings carry hanta virus.

o

If you are going to take action i'd recommend using a live-catch trap. Rats are very intelligent when it comes to traps. I have much greater success using live-catch cage traps on rats than I do using any other type of rat trap. Try using a trap that is at least 4-5 inches square. Set it in the area that the rat has been frequenting and use either peanut butter or dry dog food for bait. A trap like the one pictured in the link below would be perfect.

Here is a link that might be useful: Animal Trap

o

Call you local health department. Around my town they like to know about all rats and will take action against hem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here