Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jeffpas

Termites? Or what is it....... Oh no!

jeffpas
9 years ago

Okay I was adding a small entry door to my garage (have lived at the place over 15 years) and had just cut a section of the wall out which used to be a window.
When I tipped the wall section out, it ripped off the concrete foundation and guess what was underneath- this very curious thing. Though nothing was visible inside the garage, a section under the foundation board was hollowed out and all this was there.

I didn't see anything moving, and the only insects I could see were a few large red things which appeared dead... though it was awhile before I had had a good look.
Carpenter ants? Termites? Water rot... Trying to figure out what is going on and how much of a danger this is...and then what should be done. Anyone recognize what this is?

I can only upload one photo so you'll have to check the Daves Garden link below for the whole perspective.......... which Garden Web will not allow me to post :/ Nice.

Comments (5)

• jeffpas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Okay, if you go to www dot dave s garden dot com, and go under Insect and Spider Identification, you can see all the pics (and no response, its pretty dead over there). Its much easier to see what is going on with all the pictures.

This post was edited by jeffpas on Wed, Nov 5, 14 at 19:20

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Looks a lot like termite damage, the wood is full of tunnels or 'galleries' as they call them. It could be quite old so no live termites. Termites are not red, at least not the ones I've seen in the Midwest. Google them up and you'll see lots of pictures. They look like white ant-sized critters with a fat abdomen. They avoid light so when you expose something you have only seconds to see them.

If this is termite damage you need to have your whole foundation perimeter treated.

• jeffpas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone on another forum said that carpenter ant tunnels typically go with the grain and look clean while termites go against it and also have debris.
    I didn't see anything alive when I tipped it out..... and I have never seen winged termites or any termites.... however over the summer there were a lot of ants. Very small ones, lines of them at one point. I put Amdro out and that seemed to have killed or moved them off. They were eating the dog food.

Wish there was some other way to find out for sure before I drop $1000 on a termite treatment I may not need.... its better perspective I think to look at all 5 pictures on Dave's site as I mentioned, link not permitted. I'm sure there's some wood rot as there's no gutter and a fountain outside, plus some of the wood ripped out with the wall.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Is the garage attached to the house? If it isn't they sell termite treatment in a spray can with a little tube with nozzle on end to get in small places. What does rest of wall look like did you take a flashlight & see if it looks clear? I've had a few termites in garage ladder going to attic & I treated them with this spray stuff & that was end of that.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Is there any "sand"? This would be termite waste.
    If termites you can spot treat with wd40.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz