Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sand stone foundation and basement wall

Posted by Tom_F_P (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 13, 02 at 17:49

Our 1852 home has a sand stone foundation which form the walls of our basement. I have tucked and pointed the crevases between stones with concrete. Then scraped the white wash off the wall, most of which had fallen to the floor anyway. I asked around as to what to do about covering the wall. It was recommended that I mix a slurry of 1 part lime and 3 parts portland cement and using a spatula cover the wall. It kinda of worked, I got all the wall covered but now after six years it is peeling off and exposing the sandstones, which then allows the old mortar to shell off.

Anyone got any other ideas on how to cover these stones. Any products that would go on as easy as a latex paint but stick.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sand stone foundation and basement wall

I suspect that the sandstone is allowing moisture to soak through from the outside. The best solution would be to dig the outside and install a good weeping tile system and waterproof the wall from the outside.

o
RE: Sand stone foundation and basement wall

I do not know the difference between sand and brown and lime stones, It seems to be a mix in York county, PA...
Most of the stuff (dust) between the stones has failed, but as the stones are placed well and so massive that nothing will happen(short of an earthquake)...90% of the stones are either protected or coated and painted(externally), so other than some internal appearence and dust(lots of), there is no problem. I have been filling the deep voids with Min-expanding "Great Stuff". In the future, I will use more masonary coating where necessary.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here