Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
candle wax on carpet--help!

Posted by parhelia (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 17, 02 at 17:10

my poor mother! my stepdad is forever teasing her about her "obsession" with candles. she's careful with them, though. but what happens when HE blows one out? yup--red wax everywhere, even on the pale green carpet!!!

can anyone tell me how to get candle wax out of carpet? my mom said she once heard about ironing wax paper over it. will that help, or is there a better way? help would be much appreciated. :)

....and guess who will be supervised around the candles from now on!!!! LOL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: candle wax on carpet--help!

I have always put a brown paper bag down and ironed over that- its more absorbant than wax paper. However, may not take the color out.

o

Use paper towel nstead of brown paper....even more absorbant.....
And it likely will remove the red wax.....I got redw ax out of light carpet using that method.
Linda C

o

I used a very damp towel and an iron on low heat - purple wax on beige carpeting came out completely!

Trick is to be patient, use VERY damp towel and low enough heat to melt wax but not carpet fibers. Better to go slow and ramp up the temperature than to damage the rug. It took me about 15 minutes.

o

thanks for all the advice. mom said she was going to try it tonight. i haven't heard from her yet to know whether it worked, buuuuuuuut i'm thinking "no news is good news," or she'd be calling me all upset!

thanks again. :)

o

Wow, it worked. I put three wet paper towels folded into quarters and ironed on the rayon setting and blotted with dry paper towels and the stain was gone in 5 minutes. It was a really think and nasty stain too. Thanks.

o

If ever you have this problem again and the iron/paper towel application doesn't quite get it all....denatured alcohol poured on the spot and swabbed up with more paper towel will get the last vestiges of the stuff. I just removed some dark green wax from a silvery beige carpet this way.

o

Its a pretty easy stain to remove actually.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wax Removal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here