Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Woodpecker damage

Posted by seashells (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 18, 06 at 10:53

After 13 years in the same house, I suddenly have a very persistent woodpecker damaging the cedar siding on the exterior of my sunroom. I have hung "irri-tape" over the damage and that seems to be working for now.
I hate to cover up this cedar with vinyl, but it seems like that might be the most permanent solution to this problem. I sealed the wood and have also sprayed Ropel over the area to help keep the bird at bay.
Anyone else have this experience, or creative remedies?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Woodpecker damage

The bird is eating insects, not just pecking at the wood, you may have a infestation of some type (maybe ants or something worse) have your favorite exterminator identify and treat the underlying infestation problem and the woodpecker will not be interested in your siding most likely.

o

The obnoxious bird is trying to find insects. Don't assume they are there.

We are inundated w/woodpeckers on the cedar portions of our house, which are free and clear of insects. They are a nuisance and store acorns in the walls. Pounds of the little nuts fell out during our renovation.

Sorry, I don't have a simple and legal extermination method for you. After much research we haven't found any way that works.

o

The previous owner of our house wrapped the cedar siding with vinyl, same circumstances as yours. Wow, he hated those birds.

Sorry, nothing else to say, but the vinyl isn't really all that bad. Don't have a heart attack over it.

o
RE: Woodpecker damage...more

Oh, just to add, if you had a cat inside the house watching the woodpeckers doing their thing, well, I don't think the woodpeckers would do that if they could see a cat watching them.

o

I operate a Nuisance Wildlife Removal business. We use attck spiders to get rid of woodpeckers. You can get one at this website http://www.attackspider.com

It seems odd but they really do work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Woodpecker Damage photo of my home

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here