Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fireplace mortar repair question

Posted by SnoBunny (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 2, 02 at 10:37

The mortar around one of the bricks in the firebox of my fireplace is disintegrated to the point where I can lift the brick right out. I've done a bit of tuckpointing in my life (not the neatest, but I get the job done), so I'm comfortable with the idea of replacing the mortar, but I need to know if there is a special type of mortar used for fireboxes??

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fireplace mortar repair question

I had the same problem when I bought an old house. The mortar was starting to come out of some of the joints in the firebox. I asked exactly the same question to a mason (the kind that build brick walls & stuff) and he said that they use the same mortar in fireplaces as they do everywhere else.

My damage wasn't quite so bad as yours, so I used the premixed mortar patch in a caulking tube and just squirted it in. But if your bricks are coming out it may be worth mixing up some real mortar. Just make sure it's dry before starting a fire.

Hope this helps.

o

Hey, that really does help, Reef. Thank you! I even still have some mortar mix left from doing some repairs on my front steps, so I won't even have to spend a cent to do this home repair!

o

Ihave a question along the same lines I could use advice about.Our fireplace is in a room with hardwood flooring and the stuff that appears to be caulking in the groove between the bricks and hardwood needs to be filled in due to wear.What do people use for this?Our house is about 50yrs old.Any help appreciated,Thanks in advance.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here