Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wildflower_2008

property line

wildflower_2008
15 years ago

I seem to have a problem with my neighbor regarding the property line. He insists on driving his lawn tractor into my yard where his property meets mine in the rear corner of our lots. Not just once but at least 5 or 6 times when he is mowing his backyard. I have asked him to please keep his lawn tractor in his own yard while mowing but he ignores my request. I am thinking of putting a railroad tie down where he keeps doing this to discourage him. He has mowed the turf completely off and it is now just dirt. I think he his trying to get rain runoff to damage my barn which is very close to where he is doing this. My barn is the legal footage from the property line. My husband is sick with cancer and cannot confront him when he is mowing. Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (19)

• joed
    15 years ago

Fences make good neighbours.
    Railroad ties, flower bed, large concrete flower pots, shrubs, anything you like as long as it is on your property.

• marciagaye
    15 years ago

Flower beds, pots, etc...anything he can run over will not stop him. The only answer is a fence. Before you install one, check about if it can be put on the property line or if it needs to be 6 inches or a foot off of it.

• davidandkasie
    15 years ago

if you put down RR ties, don't just lay them out, STAKE them down. if he has a regular LT, it won't go over them and when he tries to bump them out the way his deck will get knocked all askew.

• heimert
    15 years ago

Or a large boulder or two . . .

I would ask him one more time. Is it possible he goes into your yard to turn the mower? I'm not saying it's acceptable, and presumably he could mow along the prop. line rather than across it. Presumably you'd both be better off if he stopped rather than you having to put in stuff just to keep him away, which he'll probably knock over anyway. Tell him that you'll have to do that if he keeps coming over, especially since he's killing your lawn, not just mowing a bit too much lawn.

• wildflower_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Guys...thanks for your tips. Why do people do these type of things? He was doing it again today. Just so you know heimert he is going around in a circle over the SAME SPOT at least 6 times when he mows back there. One time I could tolerate but over and over? He mowed YESTERDAY and same thing. The grass dosen't have a chance back there. I don't want to get in a p------g contest with him. I just want him to stop it. Oh by the way he is from Brooklyn NY and now lives next to me here in Ohio. Lucky me.

• alexis717_df
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone about the fence. That would be the best solution. I get the feeling you've spoken to him on more than one ocassion. If that is indeed the case it probably wouldn't do any good repeating yourself. How about a "No Trespassing, Violators will be Prosecuted" sign(s). Then if he does it again, take pictures (time/date stamp) and call the police. I believe he would also be liable for property damage since the damage to your lawn was incurred while he was trespassing. Sorry if my advise sounds harsh, but I've dealt with both types of neighbors, nice and not so nice. I first try making them my friends and when that doesn't work I get serious. If one doesn't work the other does, at least it always has for me. Good Luck

• kathyg_in_mi
    15 years ago

Why not plant something back there? A nice bush, a tree or a few tulip bulbs, then let him know, with some stakes or something.
    Kathy G in MI

• wildflower_2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

yeah kathyg in mi I did put some bushes back there but I planted them back from the property line so he couldn't say I was encroaching. I thought he would get the picture. Sadly he has enough room left to still go round and round with his lawn tractor. Initially he put a evergreen right near the property stake and that was fine. Then a couple years ago he trimmed it way up and started this new game. Its not like we have small lots. I have 2 acres and he has a little over an acre. So he doesn't have to cross over the property line to turn his lawn tractor. He just chooses to do it in the back corner where my property meets his.

• lindac
    15 years ago

A couple of puny plants in the middle of thea rea you are trying to save....with some concrete reinforcing rods planted in the middle. The re-rod should be about 2 feet long with 18 inches sunk into the ground and 6 inches above.
    Actually if you sink the rods into the ground, you won't even need to hide them....unless you want to see his surprise when he runs over them and they mess up his mower...
    Ask me how I know about how effective this trick is!!
    Linda C

• rjoh878646
    15 years ago

Plant some barberry bushes. Guaranteed he wont mess with these,full of nasty thorns. Put up a temporary fence around them until they grow out.

• iamdouglas
    15 years ago

Are you still struggling with your neighbor with his crummy lawn tractor?

They make a sprinkler head with a motion sensor. Just aim it along your prop line and when tractor idiot comes tooling along he gets a free shower. He ought to appreciate that, huh?

• neesie
    15 years ago

Your husband is dealing with cancer and THIS is the battle you choose to wage????

• toxcrusadr
    15 years ago

Hey, give her a break. We really don't know much about the situation. We do know one thing: She is now having to take care of the lawn.

Personally, I like the large obstacle approach the best rather than the hidden weapon that will damage his mower.

New Yorkers. Thanks for reminding me why I haven't bothered to visit NYC.

• dreamgarden
    15 years ago

"Your husband is dealing with cancer and THIS is the battle you choose to wage????"

What would YOU do? Sit back and let this obnoxious jerk keep trespassing until he's at the back door?

Nothing like kicking a dog when its down...

• mulchmamma
    15 years ago

Pyracantha shrubs are what many parks use for crowd control. Like the idea of RR ties but better yet, stack em & stake em to build a monument of a raised garden bed.

You could either plant the bed with Pyracantha or tomato plants, whatever.

The guy is a jerk and should be left to stew in his own juices. You have enough to worry about without having to deal with this moron.

• truckinncat
    15 years ago

What a moron this guy must be, I had to put up a fence 'cuz my neighbor wouldn't keep his German Shepherd on a leash. Them the dog bit my other neighbor so the dog is gone.
    I think I would decide to build a rock garden there.

• peanutmom
    14 years ago

You already have enough to deal with. If this man knows your circumstance, he has no conscience. He needs the tough treatment. Put something there, a BIG something. Make sure he can see at least some of it, but keep in mind this is your property and if he is damaging it he can be held liable. He has no right to do this. Take some pictures, send a certified letter, and tell him to keep off. I have no problem being kind to those who deserve it, or tough with those who earn it. I'm just sorry that you have to deal with this jerk at all. I hope that things go well with your husband's treatment. Good luck and God Bless.

• mommabird
    14 years ago

Wildflower- I am so sorry about your husband, and that the neighbor is being such a jerk while your DH is sick. I hope it all works out.

One thing that has worked with me with jerks is to spend 10 minutes a day loving them. Litterally set aside 10 minutes to send loving thoughts their way. It is H-A-R-D because you want to send them hateful thouhts, but I've had AMAZING results from sendig loving thoughts to people who are hateful to me. That positive energy can't help but penetrate their hatefulness and work wonders! It's also free and gives you practice in training your mind.

You could also do the RR ties while you're thinking the loving thoughts just in case :-)

• logic
    14 years ago

lindac: "with some concrete reinforcing rods planted in the middle. The re-rod should be about 2 feet long with 18 inches sunk into the ground and 6 inches above.
    Actually if you sink the rods into the ground, you won't even need to hide them....unless you want to see his surprise when he runs over them and they mess up his mower..."

Yes...and if the OP followed your suggestion she would also buy herself a HUGE liability lawsuit if anyone becomes impaled on these weapons...such as a neighborhood child, pet..and yes, even her idiot neighbor. Her property...her lawsuit....especially when one uses something that can so easily cause harm.

This is an absurd suggestion when any standard fence material will do......or even the above mentioned railroad ties.