Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rubber Cement Glue on Carpet

Posted by Nancy_in_indiana (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 29, 03 at 1:25

Dropped the bottle and spilled a line about a foot long and quarter inch wide on the carpet before I could get bottle picked up. Tried to sop up but now have a dried line in that spot. The carpet is berber type - smooth surface rather than shag/plush fibers. Since rubber cement doesn't dry as hard as other types of glue, can anything be done now? Thought about putting a rag over the area and running a hot iron over it but afraid I will just gunk up my iron. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rubber Cement Glue on Carpet

Heat won't help, it'll make a gooey mess. If it is still sitting on top of the fibers rather than soaked into the pile you might try putting some duct tape. Roll it out in short sections, press down and pull up. The dried glue will stick to the duct tape adhesive. If it has soaked in and dried you will need to get a can of Bestine rubber cement thinner. Art stores carry this. Silver can with red and black lettering. Work a small area at a time as it evaporates quickly. Dribble some on and using a clean rag work it in a bit and wick it back up. This solvent is toxic, so open the window.

Eileen

o
RE: Rubber Cement Glue on Carpet

Thanks so much! I didn't know there was a special solvent for rubber cement. Will need to use that since it has soaked into the fiber. Will head for the art store tomorrow. You are a life saver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here