Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Funny squirrels

Posted by brodysmom1 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 02 at 0:31

Well, this isn't MY disaster but I found the story pretty amusing (since it's not me). My mother was grumpily relating this story to my many giggles. Seems a squirrel has taken up residence in their attic and they were all tucked into bed the other night when they heard scratching. Just as mom was saying "great, another squirrel", they heard something sharply hit wood followed by the sound of something hard rolling across the plywood on the attic floor. Sound of squirrel moving around the attic, then "bump" and the rolling sound again. And again. Finally she gets up, bangs on the access door in the ceiling--silence. She gets back into bed, starts to relax, then "bump" and roll. Banging on the ceiling, repeat the whole sequence. Went on for an hour while this squirrel played with its nut or whatever it had up there. At least her story distracted me from cursing the squirrels digging up my freshly laid mulch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Funny squirrels

Not to burst your bubble, but don't take this squirrel lightly. I live in an apartment building that was INFESTED with squirrels in the attic. I, too, would bang on the ceiling in a desperate attempt to get them to stop. My landlord refused to take any action until I threatened him with LEGAL action. Then he called an exterminator who trapped and boarded up the holes with hardware cloth.

Where you find one, you'll find more and they are very destructive. They leave behind an odor that attracts more squirrels....and so on, and so on, and so on. The ones who live in houses are rogue squirrels and are far different from the cute little ones you see outside in the park. My advice to you (and your mom) is to either call an exterminator or start trapping them yourself. You can read all about it at this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: United Exterminating Company

o
RE: Funny squirrels

My parents actually live in rural PA and have dealt with the little critters many times. They even periodically have to clean out the innards of the car under the hood because of chipmunks building nests up there. I just thought that this particular squirrel was quite the comedian dropping that nut and letting it roll over and over again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here