Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help! hot water leak and husband not home!

Posted by jiggreen (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 25, 04 at 22:38

i posted this to the plumbing forum also, i'm sorry for the duplicate posting, but i need help!

it figures these things always happen in the middle of the night and when my husband isn't home!!!! i was walking my dog out in the backyard this evening and heard a splish splashing noise coming from my crawlspace. i went under there and was able to see water pouring through my insulation underneath my house. the water coming out is warm water. the water is coming out from underneath the area of the house that has my hot water heater and spare bathroom. the hot water heater does not appear to be leaking, i do not have any water on the inside of my house, only underneath. i am assuming that i have a water pipe that has burst, but i am confused about something and please forgive my ignorance. i shut off the main water valve to the house, and the water has stopped pouring out of the insulation. since the water coming out is warm, then obviously the leak is after the water enters the hot water heater, probably in between the hot water heater and the spare bathroom. why would shutting off the main water supply stop the warm water leak, almost instantly? would it be because the water is no longer under pressure? since i no longer have any water flowing to my house at all, can i just shut off the hot water and still have cold water and hopefully no leak?(kids need to go potty in morning!) i'm feeling like an idiot here and sure need some guidance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help! hot water leak and husband not home!

bump

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here