Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elusive Mouse

Posted by tom418 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 22:30

I thought I had caught THE mouse in my house. Wrong. Now I hear another one. I sleep in a back bedroom. He seems to run from the back wall, through a side wall which is next to a garage, and then, turns a corner and runs through the bearing wall next to the headboard of my bed. He sounds like he's in the ceiling above the second floor. (I have a finished attic above that).

What's puzzling is that, since it's a bearing wall, the ceiling rafters run perpendicular to his path!. How is he managing to do that? I have pictures from when the house was built. There is a 14-2 romex passing through this bearing wall, with 3/4 inch holes bored along its path. But there should be NO ceiling wiring. I can understand a mouse running front to back (of the house), but from side to side?!?!?

Should I try to get some "Great stuff" to spray into the wall adjoining the garage? (This sems to be the entry point)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elusive Mouse

I see that "Great Stuff" have a particular spray specially for pests - rodents etc. It says it contains no pesticides, so I don't know what's special about it. I'm about to use some myself.

o

According to Dow, the "pest" Great Stuff contains an ingredient that makes it taste bitter. Otherwise rodents will just chew through it. I don't know how well it works.

I've filled holes with steel wool and then sprayed foam in there to keep the steel wool in place.

o

"Should I try to get some "Great stuff" to spray into the wall adjoining the garage? (This sems to be the entry point)?"

If you do try Great Stuff, I'd recommend doing so only after you first eliminate them all first (where there's smoke...) otherwise you might close it/them in and have a worse problem. Pesky little things mice are. Especially this time of year in the northern hemisphere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here