Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelcake_gw

Water damage question

angelcake
9 years ago

Hello, I am new to gardenweb and wow what a fantastic community. I have a question I was hoping someone could help with. Around ten days ago we had a dishwasher supply line burst a pin hole leak ruining all of our first floor hardwoods, cabinets and run through to unfinished basement. This happened on Friday and we started remediation the following Monday. Today I received report saying this was a category 2 water damage (significantly contaminated) this was clean water that dripped through to the basement and under hardwoods. While the crew was remediating they told me on several occasions how we were lucky it was a clean water damage. They also stated on the report that they put down microbial a (!which I am sure they did not,) Also they stated the damage came from a pipe which I questioned and they said their software limited them putting in water supply line. I am uncomfortable with these things. Does this sound right? I had other problems with them along the way. Thank you for any insight as I am pondering what I should do.

Comments (10)

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

I'm confused what you are worried about. Is it that they aren't doing a good job or is that they aren't reporting the problem correctly to the insurance company?
    Would your insurance company cover the damage if it was clean water? Maybe the remediation company is doing you a favour by 'pretending' it was dirty water.
    I think I heard of somebody who's basement got flooded and the insurance company denied the claim because it was just ground water. However, a sewage backup would have been covered.

• littlebug5
    9 years ago

I, too, don't understand.

We had a groundwater flood in the basement after a very heavy rain (more than once, actually) and our homeowners insurance doesn't cover that. They did, however, cover flood damage in the basement when a hot water heater leaked. They paid up that time quite easily.

• kathyannd
    9 years ago

I, too, am finding this very troubling. It may also be (as this happened to us) that they are exaggerating the problem as they know you have insurance coverage and they know what the insurance will allow.

You have two options. One is to let it go since the insurance is hopefully covering it. Or, (and this is what we did), you can contact your insurer and tell them your concerns and suggest that they send out another adjuster.

When we did this, the insurer reviewed all of the "testing" (and the results, which they questioned and ultimately determined to be probably phoney) and denied the things that we said had not been done. The remediation crew tried to come after us for the amount that was disallowed. We had a nasty 6 months during which they really harassed us, We finally contacted the state's Attorney General where we were living at the time and they found many more cases out there of the same thing.

It's a racket. If you know that the things they are billing for are false, you can look the other way but as long as they get away with it, they will keep doing it.

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

Water supply line IS a pipe. Besides, how does 'software' limit what kind of plumbing repairs they make? Sounds to me (along with others) like they are trying to make this look like a sewage leak, for one reason or the other.

• angelcake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses. The insurance is covering the damage.
    I was troubled by the labeling of the damage as slightly contaminated vs clean water and their labeling it as a pipe on my paperwork. After pressing the matter they agreed change the pipe to dishwasher line and initial it. They are pushing for us to sign a customer satisfaction sheet saying they cannot bill insurance for the damage without it. They also said they applied a microbial after they removed the hardwood and sorry they forgot to tell me and or ventilate. We later cleaned the basement wall ourselves. So we are not particularly satisfied with their job. Do you think it is true they cannot bill insurance without us signing this? I don't think they are trying to exaggerate for insurance, perhaps for their own liability maybe. They said because the water was in the hardwood for a week it became contaminated. However they were using special water extractors for all that time.

• mepop
    9 years ago

Angelcake:

For the record, IâÂÂm no fan of 98% of the companies doing insurance repairs. They mostly (not on paper) work for the insurance companies and not the property owners. The insurance companies are not the monsters everyone thinks they are but they pay as little as they can for insurance repairs.

Getting high quality work from a small repair contractor that works for the insurance company is like expecting a waiter to come around and crumb scrape your tablecloth at McDonalds.

However, your situation of category 2, water damage is likely accurate. Clean water can become gray water (cat 2) after only 48 hours. Can turn to black water (cat. 3) if conditions are right soon after.

If they put down an antimicrobial doesnâÂÂt matter much IMO. If you donâÂÂt have a moisture problem, you wonâÂÂt have a mold problem. If they dried everything and tested the moisture levels in the building materials, you should be fine. How they listed the water leak on the paperwork doesnâÂÂt matter as long as the claim was reported properly.

Most insurance companies wonâÂÂt pay these contractors direct unless you sign off on their repairs. I suggest if the contractor wants you to release them; you should have them release you from liability if they are collecting from the insurance company. Otherwise, have the insurance company pay you and you pay the contractor. This gives you some time to make sure the repairs were done well.

• angelcake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

me pop,
    Thanks for your explanation. Your explanation of the water categories was helpful. Well, I haven't signed their form yet and the insurance company did issue them a check. What did you mean by your comment about them releasing me from liability if they are collecting from insurance company? According to their records they got our home dry. They sent me copies, unsigned however. Hope to hear back:)

• mepop
    9 years ago

I was suggesting they release you accepting what the insurance company pays as full and final payment. Since they mostly work for the insurance company anyway a release going both ways was only fair.

If the insurance company paid them and you are ok with that, the release is likely moot. I'd leave it alone as long as they do.

The fact that their documents are unsigned doesn't mean anything.

• angelcake
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok thanks, that is what I thought you meant. I just found out mortgage company is on their check and will want that also. Thanks again!

• elleau
    9 years ago

Looks like you don't trust the guys that performed remediation services. I suggest you get another one to verify the leak.