Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Capenter ant and termites

Posted by front (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 27, 08 at 21:58

I have some carpenter ant and termite damage. I ripped off some of the drywall and there is some damage to a header (over sliding glass window) and a load bearing stud. I'm planning on replacing the stud and looking into the header. The stud is destroyed, but the header just has some burrows that the ants dug in them. If I call a pest control company out, can they red tag my house? By red tag, I mean have me pull permits and the whole nine yards to repair the issue by reporting the issues to the city.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Capenter ant and termites

depends on the company and how strict your city is.

were there active insects, or just old damage? if you even THINK you still have them, call teh exterminators in immediately.

o

We had once such a similar situation and we were also recommended to call the exterminators immediately. This is not a joke.

Here is a link that might be useful: free termite inspection

o

I would imagine that it very much depends on local ordinances although my gut reaction is that the exterminator has little to gain by reporting problems to the town/city. Having bugs eating at your house can be a very serious problem and it's better get the problem resolved than wait.

o

I had a lot of carpenter ants on and about my house this year and called BUGOUT for treatment. They said the ants do not eat wood but just like to go where the wood is damp to live. I also notice that certain shrubs in my yard attracted them and that is where I would find the ants eating the sap from the plant. I got rid of the plants and now hardly see carpenter ants anymore.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here