Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sheet rock paper rippling

Posted by liam234 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 7, 10 at 21:46

I painted over a painted wall. Two months later there is an area where the paper on the sheetrock is rippling with air bubbles. It looks like long verticle air bubbles. This is an exterior wall. The sheetrock was laid only 2 years ago. It was tapped and prepped correctly and then primed then painted. No problems until now.
It started about 1 foot from the ceiling went down 5 inches, and overnight it has now gone up the wall to the cieling. There is wallpaper border where the rippling has stopped in the middle of the wall. Does anyone know what causes this? Could it be setteling? If there was water damage, wouldn't the sheetrock be soft or the paint stained?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sheet rock paper rippling

You may have gotten stuck with drywall from China - it's been a huge scandal, and if you got unlucky (tho' dampness could be a factor I suppose, or paint surface incompatibility of some kind) then you need to Google re Chinese drywall and find out how to get recompensed. I think there may be class action suits and who knows what going on. Or you could at least get in touch with whoever sold you the drywall.

o
RE: sheet rock paper rippling

"If there was water damage, wouldn't the sheetrock be soft or the paint stained?"

This does NOT sound like the Chinese drywall problem.
It was caused by suplphur coompounds in the drywall out-gassing.

I would suspect water damage.

Have you checked to see if the wall is soft?

Water damage might appear without making it through the paint and causing staining (especially if the water is clean).

Try pushing on a 'bubble' and see if there is anything behind it, and if the drywall is solid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here