Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
glass security door installed

Posted by krissie (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 25, 13 at 18:14

Decided to replace the old storm door at front entry with an Anderson Security Glass door from Home Depot with Home Depot installation.

The installer that did the installation made a mess (no pride in his work). He broke the brick moulding at the top hinge side vertically and horizontally. The old facing boards were left in place, not wide enough, only half width and the latch side had a chunk out of it. The facing board on the hinge side was removed completely along with the door seal plus breaking a portion of house cedar siding board. Space at top of doorway was suppose to be furred down and it was not. When the entry door was closed there was light all the way down on the hinge side.

The installer hardly got out of the driveway until I called him about the entry door no longer being sealed. He gave the lame excuse that it would look tacky to put anything there, ugh!!

There is nothing like an unhappy woman, watch out!

I took pictures of the mess and called the person in charge of installation at Home Depot. This got the wheels spinning the next day after my call. I told them to not send the same installer out because he had already made a mess and I did not need a bigger mess.

Another installer from adjacent city came out and took pictures, took them back to the guy in charge of Home Depot installations. The boss was not happy with the sloppy installation. They were going to come back and remove the glass door and start over.

In the meantime I decided to not have the broken brick moulding removed, high risk of breaking cedar siding on the other side too (49 year old house). Not only that but brick moulding is no longer made as wide as what is on the doorway and would have to be replaced with 1x3 plain board. Not happy about that either.

My daughter did a beautiful job of repairing the broken brick moulding using plastic wood along with sanding down the kicked up part of the upper moulding. The last installer replaced the facing boards with correct width, seals all around. and hopefully it will look nice after it is painted.

I tell you my story just in case anyone has thought about having Home Depot do installation for them. Don't go that route or you most likely will end up in a mess like I did.

In Home Depot's defense I will give them credit for sending out an installer to fix the "mess" that took pride in his work . I requested an installer that knew what he was doing and would not make a further mess! Thank goodness they sent out a good one!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: glass security door installed

I have used HD home installs on a few projects but they did a good job so I didn't have any complaints.

I hope everything works out for you. I need to get a new storm door next year. Do you like that one?

o

Sometimes you get good contractors, sometimes not. At least HD gets credit for fixing it with no questions asked.

If a guy does that enough he won't be a HD Installer very long.

o

jcalhun,
The Anderson Security Door has only been correctly installed for a week, too soon to know for sure how I will like it. So far, it looks great. It is heavier than our previous storm door. Don't think that will be a problem.

Need to paint the door facing, refinish the steel entry door, finish repair and paint the brick moulding.

The Larson Security Door at Lowes and the Anderson Security Door look the same and have the same lock system (3 places locking). Most likely the same mfgr. made both doors. Lowes was more expensive total.

The Security Door lock (part you turn) was too close to the door facing, however, the last installer reduced thickness of the facing board by 1/4th inch and now there is room for fingers to turn the lock.

o

I had HD installer put up awning over large window & on over door. Very professional & fast, has held up beautifully & makes such a difference in summer as sun beat down on that side & kitchen was so hot. They did have problem with some kitchen installer they had but I haven't heard of any other problems around here.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here