Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krissie55

glass security door installed

krissie55
10 years ago

Decided to replace the old storm door at front entry with an Anderson Security Glass door from Home Depot with Home Depot installation.

The installer that did the installation made a mess (no pride in his work). He broke the brick moulding at the top hinge side vertically and horizontally. The old facing boards were left in place, not wide enough, only half width and the latch side had a chunk out of it. The facing board on the hinge side was removed completely along with the door seal plus breaking a portion of house cedar siding board. Space at top of doorway was suppose to be furred down and it was not. When the entry door was closed there was light all the way down on the hinge side.

The installer hardly got out of the driveway until I called him about the entry door no longer being sealed. He gave the lame excuse that it would look tacky to put anything there, ugh!!

There is nothing like an unhappy woman, watch out!

I took pictures of the mess and called the person in charge of installation at Home Depot. This got the wheels spinning the next day after my call. I told them to not send the same installer out because he had already made a mess and I did not need a bigger mess.

Another installer from adjacent city came out and took pictures, took them back to the guy in charge of Home Depot installations. The boss was not happy with the sloppy installation. They were going to come back and remove the glass door and start over.

In the meantime I decided to not have the broken brick moulding removed, high risk of breaking cedar siding on the other side too (49 year old house). Not only that but brick moulding is no longer made as wide as what is on the doorway and would have to be replaced with 1x3 plain board. Not happy about that either.

My daughter did a beautiful job of repairing the broken brick moulding using plastic wood along with sanding down the kicked up part of the upper moulding. The last installer replaced the facing boards with correct width, seals all around. and hopefully it will look nice after it is painted.

I tell you my story just in case anyone has thought about having Home Depot do installation for them. Don't go that route or you most likely will end up in a mess like I did.

In Home Depot's defense I will give them credit for sending out an installer to fix the "mess" that took pride in his work . I requested an installer that knew what he was doing and would not make a further mess! Thank goodness they sent out a good one!

Comments (4)