Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 17:12

Boracare or call a pest control?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Powder Post Beetles

What are they in?

o

Are they pantry pests? If so, put a little mesh bag (I use panty hose) of dry bay leaves in cabinets and tape to the top of flour containers, etc. Since I have done this, I haven't seen a single beetle.

o

No. They are just pock marks on a floor joist in the crawlspace, which is a tell-tale sigh of powder post bettles. Haven't encountered any in the home. I've done research and it turns out these beetles lay their eggs in the wood where the larvae can sustain themselves on the wood for several years before boring out of the wood.

The beetles will target lumber yards and sometimes lay eggs in fresh milled wood. The eggs are deposited, the material is then delivered to the contractor and thus the job site where it is installed and things may look fine during construction and shortly thereafter but in a year or two an inspection may discover their presence thru the damaged wood. Boracare is recommended to spray on new joists, studs for remodeling as it prevents infestations.

o

I have powder post beetles in my barn. They leave behind a powdery sawdust material. They burrow in untreated wood and lay their eggs. My barn is very close to the neighbor's barn and I have moisture problems in that one wall because of it. You can try fumigating, but they'll come back.If its just a few pieces of wood, get rid of that wood, sweep up all the powdery residue. Get completely dry, chemically treated wood.Vanishing the wood is good. Prevents crevices for the bugs to burrow in.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here