Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of bug is this--ick!

Posted by sooz (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 11, 09 at 17:00

I was helping a friend and we found a number of these tiny bugs in her linen closet. She had some doggie Xmas stockings in the linen closet that were a gift (last year) & they had real milk-bones on them, and the milk-bones were crumbly...so either the bugs were IN the milk-bones as eggs and the eggs hatched, or she has some kind of infestation.

There is NOTHING in her bedding that is on the beds, just a bunch of these critters in her linen closet.

What are they? Any special treatment to make sure they are gone?

Today, we'll be cleaning out the linen closet, washing everything, and spraying it down with a mixture of bleach and water. Not my idea of a fun Sunday visiting with a friend, but it'll be good to help her out with this.

Thanks for any help!!!!!!!!

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of bug is this--ick!

It looks like a carpet beetle to me. Here's a link, click on this and scroll down to about half way down the page and it will show you a picture - looks pretty much that the critter you got there!

Here is a link that might be useful: carpet beetle

o

What a good friend you are. My guess is they are from the milkbones for sure. I did a search and seems bugs in milk bones is not a rare thing, but could not id the bug.
What a good friend you are. Did I say that already? My guess is that they will be near their food source, so cleaning out the linen closet will hopefully do the trick. Wish I could be of more help. Good luck!

o

Thank you both for your posts! We're taking a break, but things are going well. Gosh, someone is going to have a lot to launder!!!

They are not quite as "hairy-looking" as a carpet beetle, but I'm sure they are close cousins!

Thanks again!
Sooz

o

Those are the larvae of pantry beetles. You can find them in cereals, flour, nuts, pet food, bird seed, etc. Next time, keep doggie treats in the freezer.

P.S. Your friend might want to look closely at her food pantry, too.

o

Here's what we discovered... we read on-line that laundering the items kill the bugs...but wait !!

My friend did laundry in hot water, hung them on the line to dry...and she found two bugs were still alive and clinging to the linens when she went to hang up the sheets and towels! She shook out the linens, brought them in to fold, and discovered another one--so if you have these bugs, use the dryer AND inspect before you fold and put away!

Laundering, if you dry the items in the dryer on HIGH, *might* kill the bugs, but plain old washing in hot water won't.
Ewwwwwwww!

Sooz

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here