Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angiepangie_gw

Saw tooth grain beetles?

angiepangie
10 years ago

I was cleaning crumbs behind the microwave when I noticed a few small bugs- after internet research I think they are sawtoothed grain beetles. They are quite small so it is hard to tell- I will post a picture when I am done cleaning out cupboards.

There were also several on my paper towel roll that lives next to microwave. I next checked the cupboards- which, due to a past indian meal moth experience, I try to keep very clean- I keep ALL grains, flours, pasta, etc in fido glass jars with hermetic seals- none of those were contaminated. In fact, I could not find ANY insect infestation in any of my actual food-

I opened every package of baking mix ( in sachets), looked in every spice jar, under every lid- even boxes of crackers not tightly sealed were clean. However, under most every jar, can, or box- they were lurking. They seem to be feeding on tiny crumbs left behind. I left a bit of flour on my jar before I put it away, and they were on that. They were also in the nooks and crannies of the shelves.

I don't know what to do. I am cleaning out, and wiping down- discarded anything I didn't have a jar for- and I plan to spray insectide. I read that this won't kill eggs tho. So I am at a loss of what to do next. Is it safe to put my food back in, or do I need to wait a few days or weeks and make sure no more hatch out of hidden places?

I am so sorry for such an icky question. I hope someone can help.

Angie

Comments (2)