Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bugs under cedar shingles

Posted by rwiegand (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 22, 12 at 14:10

My barn (in MA) is being riddled with holes made by foraging woodpeckers going after sundry bugs that are living under the cedar shingles. I think I've found and eliminated all of the carpenter ant nests in the building, but there are about a zillion winter moths (Operophtera brumata) and Western Conifer Seed bugs (Leptoglossus occidentalis) that call it home. (And perhaps many others, these are just the most obvious). The building has been treated with borate from the inside for control of powderpost beetles.

Is there a good solution short of total chemical warfare? (even then, how do you treat under the shingles?) The shingles are a mix of western red and eastern white cedar and are painted. Some are probably original to the barn (110 years old) others are replacements made over time. The house, a couple hundred feet away, does not have this problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bugs under cedar shingles

Have it tented with liquid nitrogen?

I mean, I have no idea but that comes to mind as something that would be both thorough and very safe to use.
It would be expensive, though so I hope it doesn't come to that.
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here