Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
newenglandsara2

asbestos issue on a Saturday: what to do when it's the weekend?

newenglandsara2
9 years ago

Hi All,

Today we had a carpet installer come to install a carpet on our basement stairs. I thought he was going to carpet over the old linoleum stairs and just remove the metal, but then I found that he removed the entire sheet of linoleum! I looked up the kind of sheet linoleum (Armstrong 5352), and it commonly came with a felt backing that was 80-100% asbestos. This installer cut the carpet off with a knife and scraped off the felt backing. I can't believe it! I am so stressed. I have three young kids, and we just had FLOR carpet tiles installed in our basement yesterday. The linoleum cut-up sheets fell down the stairs and onto the FLOR tiles in the basement hallway.

It is Saturday, and I have no idea how to proceed. Obviously, I will close the basement door as soon as he is done installing the runner. However, the basement air (and possibly the house air) is probably now filled with asbestos particles. Plus, the installer has walked through our kitchen and up and down the stairs. Eek!

I welcome any input. This is super stressful to me.

Thanks so much,

Sara

Comments (5)

• SparklingWater
    9 years ago

Hi Sara,

Your concern over loose asbestos in the ever-popular Armstrong 5352 floor linoleum is reasonable; please know the felt was also part cellulose as I understand it.

My main point tonight is that it takes a pretty hefty exposure and usually over time before high risk occurs. So containment would be the first step which you've already done by closing the basement door, and if feasible, not running the HVAC this weekend. For the tracking issue, a discardable damp mop sponge light mop of the kitchen floor to backdoor would help, perhaps proceeded by a dry Swifter (just no vacuum). Ensuring the little ones wear socks and shoes in the kitchen area sounds good.

Then you can call the linoleum store owner on Monday and explain the situation and ask for a proper pickup of the remnants and clean up.

The hardest thing might be the no heat (since your concerned it may have involved year heater). Perhaps a play date with a tent in the living room and some heat from your kitchen appliances or other might allow this misadventure to be turned into a fun time with mom.My kids loved camping out in our foyer.

Hang in there. I can understand your concern.

• Andrew atKERR
    8 years ago

Sara: Asbestos is a serious matter. You should be concerned; take action to clean it up. What SparklingWater said is accurate and correct. The bigger picture is cleaning the house. The company you hired to install the runner should provide licensed cleaners to ensure the house is safe for you and your family.

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Andrew, did you notice this post was from Oct. of 2014? Hopefully the homeowner is not still living in a tent in their living room. :-D Otherwise I agree completely with your comments.

• Andrew atKERR
    8 years ago

Hi Tox,

Obviously this issue is resolved by now. I think it's more relevant to post a comment to be read by others who may have the same concerns; don't you?

• toxcrusadr
    8 years ago

Can't argue with that logic. Now and then someone actually doesn't notice the age of a thread. :-]