Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's in my attic?

Posted by jeffw_00 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 26, 10 at 11:45

There's something nesting in the floor of my unfinished attic. late at night I hear sounds, but not from the same place - it can move several feet if I bang on the ceiling (so not an insect nest) There's occasionally a scratching sound (suggesting mice) but more often a sort of buzzing (sort of like a "rasberry") which is most frequent. What's up there? The section of attic it's in has a very low roof (shallow roofline), no floor, and 8" of fiberglas insulation. So very hard to get to. Mice bait did no good, am considering ultrasonic, although, won't the fiberglas kill it soon? Could it damage the joists?

any thoughts -thanks!
/j

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's in my attic?

I am guessing mice. I don't think the fiberglass can kill them. You might try checking the outside around your roof line to see if you see any holes. I think a mouse only needs a hole the size of a dime. (yikes)

o

Could be racoons or squirrels. Look around the outside of the house for siding, soffit or roof vents that have been torn open. A can with a rag soaked in in ammonia has been known to drive them out. But you need to find the hole and seal it up so they can't get back in.

o

turns out to be the mother of all hornets nests, and unforunately I can't quite get the spray onto the net itself (too much blockage in the attic).

o

Ay-yi-yi! That explains the buzzing sound.

Good luck. Are you calling an exterminator?

o

i can spray near the nest, and hang some no-pest strips in the area, and around their access. it's certainly quieted down. I'm going to keep spraying and see if I can get them to leave.

o

I had the same problem. The wasps didn't damage the joists, but they did damage the sheetrock in the ceiling where they established their nest. I waited for cold weather, and they all died off. Then I cut out the damaged piece of sheetrock, cleaned out the abandoned nest, and made my repair. Just be patient. I decided I could wait rather than get a bunch of wasps mad at me in a confined attic space!

o

Had a similar experience with bees in the wall. The low buzzing or droning noise is the tip-off. They will die in the cold weather (only the queen survives) just as kudzu said.

o

I augered a couple of 1/4" holes in the ceilingboard with a screwdriver, shot in a good dose of Wasp & Hornet Killer spray, plugged the holes and waited an hour or so. After cleaning the residue, I caulked their entrance path and replaced some insulation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here