Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wldcard

Vinyl Siding and Rodents?

wldcard
16 years ago

I just bought my first home this year and I have a question. I am surrounded my wooded areas and a lot of squirrels and chipmunks around. I have recently noticed very small pieces of broken (or gnawed) Styrofoam at the very corners outside of my house. Just above each of these spots (about 6 to eight inches) is where my Vinyl siding ends. I was wondering if this normal? are rodents getting underneath my siding? What kind of animal could this be?

Should I be worried that they will try and enter the house?

About three weeks ago at about 10 pm my wife heard some scratching coming for inside the wall of the family room. She called me over and I banged on the wall repeatedly but it would not stop. I soon realized that the animal was not in the wall but was in the patio door frame. I banged there as well, it would not stop. I stated to scratch the area and the animal stopped. The next morning I went out back and I noted a small gap ( about 3/4 inch) between my patio door siding and my house. I put a couple of moth balls in there and waited a day. The next day I filled the hole with Patio and window sealant ( this should have been used upon installation). We have not heard any scratching there since. But occasionally my wife hears scratching or running on the roof at night. what can this be?

Comments (4)