Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mully911

Horrible landscaper

mully911
10 years ago

One of the poorest decisions of my life was to award Legend Landscapes llc of Willoughby Ohio. my business.

I have never hired a landscaper before but we built a new home in an nice development in 2011 for aprox. 400K and chose Legend landscapes llc. to provide our landscape design and implementation. The initial contact and sell went very well and we liked the design concepts so we decided to move forward. They started the job a few weeks late, no big deal. Work went on for a few months with the usual delays. When 90% of the agreed work was complete I agreed to pay the remaining balance in full with a promises and handshake that they would return soon to complete the few things remaining. What a mistake! It has been over two years now and I am still waiting for grading to be repaired that creates a 30 foot pool of water on our new driveway. I have called, emailed and text over 86 times begging them to complete work and fix issues we have. Here is a list.
1)Still waiting for lawn:
Lawn has huge bare spots where clay soil and gravel show through on 20% of area after 2 years.
Comments from 3 other landscape companies state lawn was not prepared correctly. Ground up clay soil was used as seed base instead of covering with screened topsoil. I was told by Legend that ground up clay and rock is topsoil when I asked about it.
2)Still waiting for grading repair:
Improper grading forces water to create 30 foot pool on our new concrete driveway. I was promised in March if I waited until August they would come to repair their mistake. Seven months have passed and we are still waiting...
3)Still waiting for many small things that need repair. Dead trees to be replaced etc...
Our experience overall in quality, service, punctuality and professionalism is the worst I have ever seen. Excuse after excuse. It's laughable.
Extremely disappointed customer!

This post was edited by mully911 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:54

Comments (4)

• mepop
    10 years ago

IâÂÂve been in the construction business about 30 years. Even though IâÂÂm on the contractor side, I strongly recommend to never pay companies deposits and only pay for materials delivered or work completed to your satisfaction.

Mully, I know you are madder at yourself for trusting than anything else but we have all done it including me.

Companies who donâÂÂt need deposits to get the job going or can wait for payment are typically financially stable and more experienced. They know how important customer service is and how a good and bad reputation follows them.

The down side is these better companies will never be your cheapest price. Quality and reliability always has a cost! However, bad companies get to be far more costly in the end!

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

Unfortunately your second mistake besides contracting these guys was to pay in full. You will never see them again. Hire someone to complete the work and take these fall downs to small claims court to recover what you can.

Gather all the documentation that you can, he said she said doesn't hold water in court.

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

86 times? After about 10 it would have been time to hire someone else to fix it, document everything with photos, copies of contracts, receipts for re-done work, etc. and then take them to small claims court to recover the costs of what they screwed up.

• InfoDiva1
    10 years ago

I just checked the company out with the Better Business Bureau. They are rated F.

Not sure if one of the many complaints listed there is yours. But in any event, I agree with posters above. Stop wasting your time trying to contact the company. Gather your records, and get a reputable company to give you a bid for repairing the work. Take the company to small claims court.

Sponsored
Maruca Design / Build
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Exceptional Residential Design and Remodeling Services in Fairfax