Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
metal exterior door paint bleeding?!

Posted by ashleyree (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 29, 11 at 2:37

Hiya. I've moved into a "renovated" 1921 house. I tried to wipe away dust and grime off the newly painted (2 months ago) exterior metal door, and when I rinsed the damp sponge, the wash water turned raspberry from paint that had bled into the sponge. Now the spot where I "spot cleaned" (ahem) is a bit lighter than the rest of the door. What the heck did the painter use on my door?

I want to repaint it with a new color and heavy duty glossy finish. I've no idea what the original paint is. Can I just paint over the existing paint, or prime and paint, or should I strip it down to the metal then prime and paint?

BTW, I also want to repaint the vinyl window wrapping to match. Not sure what problems I might run into there too.

Thanks for your help. For what it's worth I got some info from an old Gardenweb post (see link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Any experts? Painting metal front door

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: metal exterior door paint bleeding?!

What was on the sponge besides water?

It is most likely as latex paint on metal, and most of those rarely bond very well.

o
RE: metal exterior door paint bleeding?!

It IS Halloween........what is so surprising about a bleeding door from a 1921 house?

Brick could be onto something.....was that sponge used for other clean-up duties that could have involved harsh chemicals?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here