Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mia__gw

White mold/mildew on some of my wood furniture

Mia_
10 years ago

We get hot, humid summers here, and I run my window AC to help combat the indoor heat, but I've, regretfully, never used a dehumidifier in this house. I'm moving in about six months or so, and I don't want to bring any mold/mildew problems with me to my new place. So I need advice as to how to avoid spreading the problem to a new home.

Within this past year, I've noticed white mold/mildew on the unfinished wood on the back sides of two of my dressers in my bedroom. On one dresser, the white stuff grows to about halfway up the back of the dresser. I've had these dressers for many years, and I've never had any issues before this house. Can that white mold make it's way inside the dressers to my clothing? I have no other place to store all that clothing. (I also noticed some orange dots on a few collectibles that are made of paper or cloth).

The white mold/mildew on my two dressers developed after I used a spray insecticide a number of times along the baseboards behind those dressers. So maybe the wet insecticide added to the moisture in the air in humid summers.

I tried to remove the white mold from the wood twice, by using a disposable cloth that contains some bleach and soap, but the white stuff always grows back. I'm not able to take this furniture outside to do a proper removal of the mold.

I won't be taking those two dressers to my new home when I move. Yet I'm so worried that the problem is now spreading to my other furniture, books, sofa, mattress, clothes, etc. Or maybe it has spread, but I can't visually see the mold yet? And I don't want to bring something to my new place that has any mold or spores on it.

So to avoid bringing the problem to a new home, should I discard my mattress, other furniture, books, etc when I move, even if I don't see any mold on these items? What should I do to avoid spreading the problem to a new home?

Not sure if I'm overreacting or not. Thank you very much for any help and advice.

Comments (17)

• toxcrusadr
    10 years ago

You can make up a spray of 5-10% bleach diluted in water in a recycled spray bottle. Spritz on surfaces, wipe off any drips with a cloth and allow to dry. Don't use it on anything you're not sure of, like an antique finish or anything upholstered. But raw wood or modern polyurethane finishes can take it.

Upholstered items can be cleaned with a cleaning machine if necessary.

I wouldn't worry too much about clothes inside a dresser unless you see mold on them or they smell musty.

I've had this too in a humid basement, along with a bit of a musty smell in the summer. We started using a dehumidifier and the problem went away.

Mold spores are everywhere so they can't really be eradicated no matter how hard you try. The goal is to not provide the conditions conducive to growth.

• jackieblue
    10 years ago

Dryness is key. Mold spores are everywhere all the time, even in your new house. They wont grow and bloom without moisture. So if you live in a humid area think about running a dehumidifier to keep the air dryer and clean up/dry any water leaks or spills immediately.

• dkenny
    10 years ago

forget the bleach..while is good in hard non porous surfaces..it not so good on porous..

try white vinegar, a borax solution and water( not with the vinegar). just spray and let dry..don't wipe the solution away. these help prevent the mold from growing

-dkenny

• dajsnipe
    10 years ago

The mold is probably living on the finish you have on those pieces, is it a natural finish like tung oil or bees wax? Either way, first thing you can do is WIPE it off, don't spray it, spraying the surface will allow the spoors to spread. (Under a microscope some mold looks similar to a dandelion head when it goes to seed)
    As for what to wipe it with, something with a strong Antimicrobial agent is best, an EPA Registered disinfectant would be preferred -but that may hurt the finish.
    Once it's gone, to keep it gone keep the humidity in the home bellow 60% and you should be fine.

• waltersd2k12tn
    6 years ago

This is a picture of a back of an unfinished book case sitting on my coral carpet. I have the same problem. It doesn't matter if it's summer or winter. I have lived in the same basement ranch house for 32 years and all of my downstairs including the garage has the same problem. It grows on everything connected to the floor. Inside drawers, baseboards finished wood and unfinished, paper etc. The floors under the rugs are concrete. The wood shelves in the garage even have the problem and it is a rough stained wood sitting on concrete. I have only had the problem the last maybe 5 years. Something seemed to have changed. Any Ideas? I guess I could try a dehumidifier -even in the garage? What should the humidity level be? I usually wipe my furniture down with the mold shield that I've bought at Lowe's. Thanks for any help. From Knoxville TN.

• weddleweb1
    6 years ago

What about mold on leather furniture?

• HU-545271562
    5 years ago

@waltersd2k12tn - 1. you say something has changed in the last 5 years, so the best thing is to hunt around the yard for anything that could be causing additional water to pool near the walls or floor of the space. If there was some landscaping down, or a gutter got changed, etc. Ground water/saturation is the biggest problem you are having - especially since the effects begin on the floor and go up. If you had equal amounts of mold/mildew on the tops of furniture then it would be more about the air. 2. Yes a dehumidifier will work in any room if the room has walls and a ceiling. If you are using the garage door more than twice a day then that would lessen the impact of a dehumidifier, but a dehumidifier could make a big difference to air-born moisture. You want to keep the humidity down under about 60%.

• HU-464514974
    2 years ago

Im sure i have a few issues and i know white and black mold is one of them before i lose it completely has anybody experienced the following... the presence of some sort of fumgus on my pine furniture which keeps coming back no matter what scraping a layer of &@&$&:off of the wood appesrs to work momentarily then i scfually sed it spread along the wood in a brown black line moving merrily along my pine dressers also here is the kicker and no im mot f sny form of drug although i coild use a sedative!!! the furniture panel actial ”breathes” it swells uo and down i hace extrrminstors coming but im so overwhelmed it is everywherre in my home shen i see the appesrance if wjst looks like a face i know thr shite is there wreaking havic i aldo have somethjng coming from the plants outside it makes its way over to the framing and smudgess into my home the floor becomes sticky and shiny and it had even moved the panel curtains i know sounds nutss but ive filmed it and ive been living this helll for some time

• HU-879164167
    last year

No amswer to the above wiestiojs departate in to

• toxcrusadr
    last year

Can you tell us where you live so we can get an idea of the climate.

Does this happen all year round or just in warm humid weather?

Do you run an air conditioner, or dehumidifier?

Concrete floors, wood, ? Basement or ground floor?

What's the finish on the furniture it grows on? Unfinished, varnish, ?

Does it grow near the bottom/floor on furniture or randomly in different places?

• toxcrusadr
    last year

I also wanted to comment on this post from earlier in the thread.

>>try white vinegar, a borax solution and water( not with the vinegar). just spray and let dry..don't wipe the solution away. these help prevent the mold from growing

Just to be clear, borax dissolved in water should be used by itself and not mixed with vinegar. It will kill mold and mildew and you can look up the recipe online for how much to use. Vinegar may work too, I haven't researched it, but probably. Vinegar is acid of course, and borax, it turns out, is alkaline in water - about pH 9, higher than baking soda. Screwing up the pH is what kills fungi. Just don't mix them, because they will cancel each other out and you'll end up with a neutral solution!

• HU-879164167
    last year

All over the brown oozing fungus destroying hardwoid its creeping out from baseboards and unfinished pine furniture rhe white is all over rop of ceilinf rop of vasebosrds ans onsidd quarterroond . now its tunneling on ceiling as well causing ceiling to bubble up and there are these black specks that move along ceiling cracking as it goes when i say hey come here look at this nightmare the specks have burrowed under paint making me look like a chaxk job who is hallucinating if that doesnt add even more stress i dont know what does my name is Chris i live in what was a beautiful detached home all brick ranch bungalow in Toronto ON i think i may have subteranean termites carpet beetles and whatever is attacking my home has done a number on outside ahubbery earing my wooden deck and is eating through grout on bricks the white fungus shite also coats the fan in my kifchen i lice a cery charmed life right now

• toxcrusadr
    last year

Sounds like you have moisture problems. Leaky roof or siding, maybe leaking pipes in walls or floor.

I think you might want to first have a termite/insect inspection by a pro. When they identify any insect problems, then you can have a good construction contractor in to look at how to repair damage.

Nature will reclaim your house if you let it.

• HU-879164167
    last year

I aent a lengthypost with pics and its disappeared

• HU-879164167
    last year

I woildnt just ignore response

i know i have wood borimg something destroying hardwood floors just saw a black spot move up the floorboard nice eh? Its some sorr of brown fungus also outside deck this whacky inssecr oarasite is going to town earing and cracking boards ill semd a pic i also jave the white fungus coming from outside and coating in the house itscrews up my appliances and there is no amount of vinegar borax that will remove this living organism for jusf one insfance inbedded inside my stove on the fan i feel so sad as i seem to be the onlu one enduring this mass invasion i feel like fappimg out as ive only mentioned a portoin of rhis invasion thanks for your time

• HU-879164167
    last year

Oh and my apologies for all the typos