Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
septic tank back-up?

Posted by sunnymonkey (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 22:33

i noticed a really awful smell when i went down to the basement today. quick investigation revealed that the bathroom down there was flooded. the sink, toilet and tub had black water in them too. does this mean my septic backed up? the septic alarm did not go off.

the septic tank was pumped a month ago or so. my uncle said that it is possible that the septic float (?) could have been messed up during the pump process. Does this sound right? we've never had a problem with the septic before. there are no running toilets or anything.

i'll be calling the septic company tomorrow morning. i'm sure they'll say it's not their fault. how can i prove it is IF it is?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: septic tank back-up?

sure sounds like a backup to me. as to whether this is their fault or not, who can say. septic tanks are pumped dry of liquids and solids, but within DAYS they fill back up 100%. they must be full to work. the reason for pumping is that when they get overfull of solids the lines can no longer drain.

i wonder if your field drain lines were clogged, you pumped it, then when it filled back up it backed up again.

o

Since this problem is in a basement, any chance you have a sewage pump failure? It's not a pump in the septic tank but a pump that carries the waste 'to' the septic tank.
It should have had some type of alarm!

o

Thanks for your responses. It turns out it was a clogged main pipe from the house. I watched as they snaked it out and all the liquid came pouring out of the pipe from the backed up tub and toilet. Guess it was just a coincidence that it happened soon after I got the septic pumped.

o

What prompted the pump-out of the septic tank?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here