Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of wasps?

Posted by daninthedirt (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 12 at 22:00

OK, not exactly a disaster, but a pest of some sort. We get wasp nests here in central Texas. They hang under eves, getting up to the size of a softball, covered with little holes which enter into tubes. The buggers *look* like mud daubers, about an inch long, with a very narrow waist. Completely black. But when you knock a nest down in the evening, a horde of them come out, and fly straight toward the nearest light.

Now I always thought that mud daubers weren't social. These sure are! About a hundred came out of the nest I knocked down this evening. The nests sort of look like ones of paper wasps, and those guys are social, but I couldn't find any pictures of all-black paper wasps.

Any ideas about what they might be?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of wasps?

Like this one? Blue mud dauber:

o
RE: what kind of wasps?

Thank you. I saw that, but the mud daubers are solitary. These wasps are VERY social. But a correction.

Now that I've managed to get a close look at them (they were all clustered under the porch light in the morning). I see they really have yellow rings around their hind quarters. So that means they are "paper wasps".

My apologies for the incorrect description. Yes, at night,in the dim light, they really did look all black!

These paper wasps are really remarkable. I hear they are good for insect control. Had their nest not been right next to my front door, I would have just let them go.

How did I get make the big cluster of paper wasps go away? I just hit it with a hose stream. A few of them were seen later on flying around where their nest used to be, but I'll keep the from building another one there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here