Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rat/Squirrel in wall (from cellar?)

Posted by SimSportPlyr (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 19:11

There is a rat or squirrel (not sure which) in an exterior wall on the 2nd floor.

I can't find any entry points on or at the roof, so I'm not sure how they are entering the attic or wall.

There is an unscreened area of the crawl space under the house, though.

Is it possible that the critters would enter at the ground level and clijmb up 10' or so?

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rat/Squirrel in wall (from cellar?)

Can't speak to the access they found, but from experience I can strongly encourage engaging a professional to assess the situation and set the appropriate traps. We had this same thing happen in an older home we owned (built in the 20's) and not to be gross, but one of the dang critters died in the wall after we were foolish enough to set out poison in the basement - let's just say as 'nature took its course' we had to move out of the house for 3 weeks due to the awful aroma. We never were able to identify exactly where the critter died or we would have opened up the wall immediately - but it impacted the entire 2200 sq ft living space.

o
RE: Rat/Squirrel in wall (from cellar?)

Helen, thanks very much for the feedback. I appreciate it.

This is a friend's house, and I have a feeling he'll need to get a pro involved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here