Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherigw_gw

Not sure which way to turn, H-E-L-P!! (xpost to Home Dec)

cherigw
11 years ago

The good news is I have a new roof (hail storm last May). . .the bad news is that on the back side of the house the roofing company had taken everything off (1 layer of composition, 1 layer shake, felt, and decking) leaving only the framing "slats". They "tarped" the open area, but we had an unexpected storm blow in (60 mpr winds and I had an inch of rain in my rain guage). In my bedroom, the rain came in through the top of the window, the ceiling fixture in my closet, completely filled the globe in the ceiling fan at the end of my bed and collected about 4 inches of water in a trashcan. There are water spots all over the ceiling. Biggest one is about 3 ft x 3 ft. . . almost all of the ceiling where it meets the wall on the back side where the rain came in and there are several dinner plate sized ones, plus the area around the ceiling fan. The next morning they pulled the wet insulation out of the attic over about 2/3 of the bedroom and recommended that I not sleep in the bedroom. They agree it is their problem and are coming out this next week to see what needs to be done. The guy that removed the insulation the following morning said he thought they would probably have to replace the ceiling as the drywall has sagged enough to see the seams in some places. The ceiling has dried out pretty much (this happened Tuesday nite/Wednesday am), but the "setback" at the top of the window is still damp today (I peeled back the wallpaper) and the light in the shower has been out (I thought the bulb burned out, but it cam back on the next day) and it still smells kind of musty in my closet.

My question/concern is how to tell how much damage was "really" done" and what should I fairly expect the roofing company to repair? A friend said she didn't see how they could replace the all/part of ceiling without messing up the top of the walls and she thought I should get either new wallpaper or new paint job.

Since the roof was an insurance replacement, I notified my local agent who said he would notify the adjuster on the roof claim.

Any recommendations on how to make sure the roofing company doesn't gloss over the damage (they are a reputable local company, but still. . . .). I don't want more than is fair, but I want to make sure there is no "hidden" damage that won't show up until a few months/years down the line. Maybe have the insurance company send out an adjuster?? I thought about having a remodeling contractor come out, but not sure how "interested" they would be since it would be just a "consulting" job.

While I am far from helpless (:), it's just me. . and I don't have a background in construction!!

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Comments (9)

• User
    11 years ago

Have the insurance company send an adjuster to take a look at the additional damage. Frankly, your roofing company is being MORE than generous because it really is not their fault. They weren't negligent and can't control the weather so I'm surprised they are accepting any responsibility at all. This is what insurance is for.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

" Frankly, your roofing company is being MORE than generous because it really is not their fault."

They failed to adequately protect the house.

It IS there fault.

It is what THEY have insurance for.

• User
    11 years ago

And what temporary system would have protected the house during a storm with 60 mph winds?

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

called the insurance company and adjuster on the roof claim and while they are "very interested", this is a separate issue that is between me and the roofing company. I'm having a water mitigation company come out tomorrow to assess the damage as I have disovered the sheetrock on the wall is wet underneath the window (vinyl wallpaper, so it didn't show throught until I pulled back a little corner).

Re: responsibility of roofing company. They didn't hesitate to accept responsibility. I live in "tornado alley", so they are quite accustomed to securing damaged roofs for severe weather and wind. . .after the round of tornadoes in spring 2010, there were people who didn't get their roofs repaired until the following fall and lived for several months with "tarp roofs" over a good portion of their homes.

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Bingo, brickeye was and us 100% correct!!

• toxcrusadr
    11 years ago

It sounds pretty good so far, replace all the wet attic insulation.

It seems like some wallboard is going to have to come out in order to repair the known wet insulation inside the wall around the window. AND elsewhere to assess where else water may have gotten. You *must* make sure there is no moisture left in the walls, because mold will grow and you'll have serious problems.

Elec. fixtures should be turned off, opened up and checked for moisture AND corrosion, and replaced if necessary.

Other than that it sounds like they're doing the right things.

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"And what temporary system would have protected the house during a storm with 60 mph winds?"

Adequate tarps with nailed down battens.

The tarts become single use, and off to the landfill from the nail holes used for the battens.

It might cost more than drywall, but is far less than plaster repair.

• User
    11 years ago

Well, clearly I was mistaken on this one. Good luck with your repairs.

• lafdr
    11 years ago

My friend had a similar thing happen and was able to redo her entire bathroom and put in recessed lights through out the damaged ceiling areas (some of this was at her expense since it was upgrades from the original). The roofing company's insurance stepped up and made all the damaged areas better then they were. I say this as reassurance since hers turned out great. But yes it was a huge stress. They need to prove to you they have allowed proper drying and mold testing.