Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
asperwhat

How to word an - Add to sell ?

AsperWhat
9 years ago

My name is on a quitclaim deed to property my parents had - they have both passed . Property- has 4 acres of land w/ 44 year old mobile home. It has been vacant sense Dec. 2013. Through the years of them living in the home a lot of damage happened with breaking pipes and floods . I had a mold inspector tell me it's not worth fixing, due to over growth of mold and rotting floors.
I want to sell the land but can't figure out how ? I can't afford to move it. I got the town assessors to lower the taxes, they told me it's better to leave home on property, because of the zoning laws on septic. Which makes no sense cause I know the leach field and or septic is bad ! In other words if I could find a buyer all they would have to do is get ride of home and move another on . Any ideas on what you would say in an Add to sell this Nightmare ?

Comments (3)

• eibren
    9 years ago

If the home is truly unlivable, label the ad as "lot for sale" with a mention of an "old house on property" that is not livable.

If one could conceivably live in some portion of the house, label ad as "House for sale" and mention home is being sold "as is". Such houses are usually picked up by contractors in a cash sale, which makes a bank home inspection unnecessary. What you don't want is to get locked into a sale in which you are required to do repairs.

You should list any virtues the property does have regarding location, convenience, available activities, plantings, etc.

There are real estate agents that specialize in such sales, and imo you would do much better if you have one of them represent you. With a property like this, you might also want an attorney. Although they will of course take their cut, your share will imo still be greater than if you do this on your own.

Choose professionals that are willing to be upfront regarding their fees and that practice in the same county as the property being sold. They will be the most knowledgeable regarding the local market and zoning laws, and will not have as high mileage fees, if any. Younger attorneys located near the county courthouse are usually a good bet, but make certain they specialize in real estate law.

• AsperWhat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks you eibren , I like that unlivable sound much better than worthless. Than all the buyers have to do is ask why -) Yes that was my first thought not to get into a contract about fixing anything. As for a realtor , there's still a mortgage on the property. Now that it's just the land , I most likely will only break even. I don't believe much if any would be left over for a realtors costs .Almost everyone I've talked to said It would have to be a cash sale. Most banks won't loan for land unless an agreement is made that the new owners will build. I sure have my work cut out for me, but you gave me some good ideas-)

• Andrew atKERR
    8 years ago

AsperWhat: You may want to try sell "By Owner". There are some pretty good web sites for this.This is the one in my area. Often times you'll find someone who would love to buy your property; they may even be able to take over the mortgage. If the price is right, you might even make some money on it.

The other thing you could try is "rent to own". Find someone who wants to live on the property with the intention of buying in the future. Lots of people just aren't ready to buy today but they might be in a few years. It's good deal for you and it's a good deal for them. Look into it.