Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntevie

smoke alarm and fireplace

auntevie
14 years ago

I have a gas fireplace in an apartment. However, every time we use it the smoke alarm goes off after about 10-15 minutes. I cant smell or see any smoke. The room is really small and does get warmer but by no means gets hot. The smoke alarm is located across the room on the ceiling and otherwise (I am assuming) is working fine. It drives me crazy not only because we cant use the fireplace but also because I am afraid it could be dangerous. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this and if it could be dangerous? Thanks!!

Comments (10)

• dave777_2009
    14 years ago

CO or Carbon Monoixide by the way - is COLORLESS - you WON'T see it.

And has NO SMELL. You won't SMELL it. It is COMPLETELY INVISIBLE to ALL of your senses.

Your red blood cells will bond to it more easily than oxygen. And it can kill you quite easily. Poison you very slowly.

If your fire alarm is a combo unit (smoke and CO) that is a great saftey feature for you; and again - your fireplace would need work like what I suggested above.

• kimcoco
    14 years ago

I have to laugh, because my smoke detector goes off every time I shower. It's outside my bathroom, and it seems the steam or heat from the bathroom that seeps out into the hallway sets off my smoke detector every time. LOL.

• texasredhead
    14 years ago

You need to understand the purpose of a smoke alarm. They are to awake you during the night when you are asleep. As such, they need to be placed in the hall just outside each bedroom. You do not need smoke alarms in places that you only use when you are awake. You're setting in your family room enjoying a fire and maybe watching TV. Both are turned off before you go to bed. If the smoke alarms are not hard wired, the one in the room with the fire place needs to be moved.

• heimert
    14 years ago

I have to disagree with the purpose of smoke alarms in the previous post. Yes, they are designed to wake you. But do you really want them to go off only when the smoke reaches your bedroom?

If you're in a traditional house, your bedrooms are upstairs. If a fire starts downstairs (fireplace or otherwise) I'd rather be altered to that fire as quickly as possible, not after it's already going so much that the smoke reaches my bedroom upstairs and I have to jump out a window instead of going downstairs.

To the OP-yes, check on the CO. But either way, have the fireplace checked by a chimneysweep to make sure it's venting properly. It could also be putting enough particulates into the air to cause this. It's not right, no matter what.

• texasredhead
    14 years ago

To heimert, the only way what you suggest can work is if all the smoke alarms in the house are hard wired on the same circuit which is the modern method. If smoke is detected anywhere in the house, all the alarms go off at once. Incidentially, the hard wire alarms also have a battery back up.

• heimert
    14 years ago

texasredhead--I have that, but I'm pretty sure I could hear a downstairs smoke alarm from upstairs as well. NOt so shockingly loud, but not something I'd sleep through either.

• texasredhead
    14 years ago

I would not care to take the chance!

• memarcus
    14 years ago

You might have the wrong type of smoke alarm. there are two types, ionization and photoelectric. I would think you'd want a photelectric here since the normal combustive products of the gas fireplace shouldn't be smokey. An ionization type maybe picking up the invisibles of the combustion process and alarming on that or it could be a CO thing too as other have mentioned.

• heimert
    14 years ago

texasredhead, you're the one suggesting not having the smoke alarm in the living room at all. You'd rather take your chances of hearing a non-existent alarm?