Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sewnice50

Closet Smells like Formaldehyde ??

sewnice50
15 years ago

I am going nuts with this closet that suddenly started smelling awful. (It might not be formaldehyde but its just as bad.) I have emptied the closet, scrubbed the walls with oxy-clean. ripped out the carpet, scrubbed the floor with mr. clean. put plates of coffee grounds in this closet and it still reeks. I have 2 thoughts. My husband had a cheap leather jacket that had a strong odor from the day he bought it hanging in the closet. this summer was hot and the closet might have gotten hot and this jacket gave off some sort of gas?? or the house was newly sided with cedar siding oil primed, and the smell somehow permeated the closed closet and some sort of awful gas was produced?? when I started to smell this I put 2 jars of odor absorbent in the closet. I think it added to the cloud of stench. Its a chemical smell and its over powering. How do I get rid of this smell? My husband wants to buy an ozone generator, but I am against such a drastic purchase. I will have to either remove the linoleum or seal it with some sort of paint??

Please help I feel like moving.

Comments (4)