Return to the Home Disasters Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildewy caulking

Posted by
Dawn Buchanan
(truedust@aol.com) on
Sat, Sep 9, 00 at 15:19

Does anyone know how to remove mildew stains from bathtub caulking? Are there any products that work? Thanks for any suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildewy caulking

Well, Dawn, you need to replace it! You could douce it with bleach, but if it's already loose you'll end up meeding to replace it.
Sorry
Salena

o

I have the same problem with black spots on clear calking! The only solution I have found so far is removing and replacing it!
Any other suggestions and help would be great!
Thanks.
Chantal

o

Caulking is usually only mildew 'resistant,' which means you'll need to clean it out and replace it. Treat area where you have removed the caulk with denatured alcohol and make sure it is dry before you replace with new caulk.

o

I have found this to be a positively hopeless endeavor. The good news is that the caulking is easy and inexpensive to remove and replace, and you will be happy to see a new product in the tub. Good luck!!

o

What is the type and brand name of the best caulking to replace the shower walls caulking?

o

I've used DAP Kwik Seal Tub and Tile Adhesive Caulking and been very pleased. It goes on very smooth and holds up well. I've yet to find one caulk that outlasts the others better in a shower area. My two cents and good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Disasters Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here