Houzz Logo Print
biodole

Walk-in Closet - Odor and Air Circulation Issue

biodole
9 years ago

Hello,

I posted a few months ago here:

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/disaster/msg011257293638.html

To summarize - we bought a house built within the last 10 years with a 1,000 sq ft addition. The addition has two walk in closets, one of which has a window. The one with the window has had a very odd smell, since after pressure cleaning and a mold remediation. The smell is musty, and mildly sweet - very unpleasant.

Since the post above, I have done the following:

1. Completely gutted the drywall against the two exterior walls (only Cinderblock and wood studs are exposed now)

2. Gutted the floor and exposed the slab completely (flooring was Quickstep Laminate w/ Eco Ultimate Silencer underlayment - freefloating)

3. Used a 4-to-1 bleach/water solution and saturated the two exposed cinderblock walls, wood studs, the slab floor, and most of the exposed wood around the window. Aired the room out for approximately 3 days after this.

4. Used 1 gal of Microban and saturated the two exposed cinderblock walls, wood studs, the slab floor, and most of the exposed wood around the window. Aired the room out for another 3 days after this.

5. I have two industrial fans inside of the room with a HEPA air purifier just outside of the room facing the door. I keep the A/C around 74 inside of that side of the house.

6. I put a DampRid bucket inside of the room for another 3 days.

Here is where we currently stand -

The room still has an odor - however it's hard for me to tell if it's the same odor, or the odor of exposed cinderblock walls.

Should exposed cinderblock walls have an odor? The room definitely smells different that any other room, and I'm afraid the problem still hasn't been solved.

I noticed that the wood studs affixed to the cinderblock seem to have black mold growing on it (I did treat the mold with the microban and the bleach/water solution - but I did not scrub the mold away or use a negative air machine/air scrubber yet). However, I did find that a bit of black mold growing on wood studs in the wall is fairly normal and should not emit such a pungent odor.

Other than that, I did notice that on ONE side of the slab on the floor, there appears to be about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch gap from where the slab ends to where the cinderblock wall begins. That gap seems to be filled with sand, which is mildly moist - is this normal?

Lastly, the air vent for the central A/C in this room is very small, approximately 3 fins, which is about 4 inches wide by 8 inches long. It's the smallest air vent in the house, and the room is routinely 8 degrees hotter than anywhere else, even with the A/C fully running at 70 degrees. The window in the room is tinted with special 3m film, and reflects a lot of heat and UV.

The roof is also pitched in such a way that there is NO access to the closet from the attic. Instead, the roof pitches so badly that there is literally no way to see what lies above. The only way would be to cut out the ceiling or take the roof apart.

At this point I'm really pulling my hair out. What else do I need to do? Should I treat the room AGAIN with microban? Should I seal the cinderblock walls with a concrete sealer? Should I seal the exposed slab with a concrete sealer? Should I cut out the window and the wood framing around it? Should I disembowel the ceiling? Should I gut the other two walls, which are only drywall and aluminum studs (not facing the exterior) ?

Sorry for the very long post, but I've been fighting with this problem for almost a year now.

I appreciate any help you wonderful guys and gals can provide me.

Thank you!

Comments (4)

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Can we assume that all contents have been removed - this is a walk-in closet, but an empty one?

What is Microban and DampRid? I would guess Microban is something like OdoBan odor killer?

Is DampRid a water absorbent material that removes humidity from the air? If so it seems like a waste of effort what with the AC running and fans going and the door open. But that wasn't really your question.

Concrete does have an odor, but once walls and floors are down and the concrete has cured awhile, you shouldn't be bothered by it or even notice it.

You said the drywall was removed from outside walls. What kind of paint was used in the room? Is there painted drywall left on the other walls? Sometimes paint can be quite a nuisance, and you can find other threads on that here I think.

• biodole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you very much for the reply.

Microban is a hospital grade germicide/fungicide/moldicide. It deodorizes and kills just about everything. It's odorless and very powerful. Google it if you're interested.

The Damprid was for excess moisture after saturating the walls with bleach and water. I know that the water can sometimes leave the surfaces damp.

The Cinderblocks and wood studs were installed in 2004 along with the slab, so 10 years seems like a reasonable amount of time to cure ;)

The other two walls are still up, and the paint is the same throughout. The paint used on ALL the walls (in the entire house) is the same. Behr Premium Plus Ultra - two coats over the original coats.

I should also mention that I originally removed two feet of drywall all the way around the room as part of a mold remediation.

I can be fairly sure that the paint is not the issue, as the odor is not similar to any paint smell, and I've also used this exact paint throughout the house without any type of odor issues.

This particular room is a bit sub-grade as well. It looks like they filled the dirt line outside a bit too high, but the slope is proper. As a precaution, I installed a french drain (corregated slitted pipe w/ a pipe sock burried under rocks around the perimeter of the front of the house, wrapping around the outer walls of this room with a 4" pipe running to a pop-up at the curb) This has removed any water from going underneath the house in the subgrade areas.

It should also be noted that the windows are fully sealed all the way around and the stucco is also in great shape with no hairline cracks or leaks.

The attic vents are underneath the eaves, but I have no attic access to check them out.

any further ideas???

• biodole
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, does anyone here seem to think that water getting behind the window frame could be causing this issue???

• toxcrusadr
    9 years ago

I don't have any other big ideas. Thanks for the clairifications.

Not sure what you mean by 'behind the window frame' as there are multiple parts of a window where leaks could occur, but it doesn't really matter, because all of them are bad! The only one I can imagine that may not be a big problem is if you had a storm window and some water leaked in around it and between the inner and outer windows. That should drain out at the bottom since the sill should be sloped outward and there should be weep holes at the bottom for drainage. Anything else means it's getting inside the wall, which is not good in any way shape or form.